freefallr

Info or Manual on Ram Air Parachute

Hey everyone,

I recently did my first solo jump, a static line, loved it. I plan on completing AFF course this summer.

I'd like to learn more about the ram air parachute. Is there anywhere online or in a manual where I can get detailed drawings of the lines (heard instructors talk about ABCD lines), how the aerodynamics of the canopy works (what exactly is happening in the flare) etc. I want to learn about the cells, how they work, the safety devices and everything to do with the parachute really.

Are you in the U.S. (or training at a USPA-affiliated dropzone outside the U.S.)? Then the USPA SIM will be a valuable thing for you to read. You can order a copy online, read it online, or download a PDF version for free.
http://www.uspa.org/SIM.aspx

Most of what is in here will probably go over your head right now, but there are some good graphics of the basic construction of a parachute.
http://performancedesigns.com/docs/MainUsersManual.pdf

This book goes into great detail on parachutes and how to fly them.
http://bigairsportz.com/publishing.php#parachute

Be careful trying to read or learn too much before you go into your training, though, especially trying to "learn to skydive online." It'll only drive your instructors nuts, and potentially overload you with information. Your student program is well-designed to introduce information on an "as needed" basis to help you gradually build your knowledge.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

ABCD lines.... wow I remember when they used to be called A..and A casscade... and B... and B casscaede.... hahhaha... Also a good ideal is have a rigger walk and talk you throught he names of items as you draw them and write what they are... a detailed notes.. book... also the FAA parachute rigger handbook... i a good book... sure you can find the pdf file here..... on DZ....its got alot of good info....
hope that this helps...
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

You should have a look at Brian Germain book : "The parachute and his Pilot ". There are plenty of diagrams showing the basics of aerodynamics of a parachute. The book also explains the theory of flight and different ways to fly the parachute according where the wind comes from. The ram air parachute is an airfoil and works like an airplane wing.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.