coho21

Hornet v. Safire

I don't want to start a gigantic thread just a few informed responses will do. (Yes, I went back in the archives and tried to dig up a worth while comparison but it the thread that I found got side tracked very quickly) Sooo...without further ado what if any are the major differences in opening & flying characteristics between the two with sizes of 170 & 169 respectively?

Thanks.
J
J
YSD#0009

Well, first off you need to be comparing similar sized canopies. The old Safires are smaller than stated(169 is actually closer to 153). I believe they fix that on the Safire 2. On openings the Safire opens softer and more consistantly than the Hornet That is some Safire open soft all the time and others will open hard all the time( I have one that opens soft and I believe billvon had one that opens hard all the time). Where as the Hornet will open soft most of the time and every once in a while you will get hammered on openning.
I have a Safire 169 and in 300 jumps have never had a hard openning and I have really trash pack it at times. My friend has a Hornet 170 most of his opennings are soft but occasionally he gets some really hard ones( he broke a rib on one of the hard openings)
Flight wise I believe they are pretty comparable. I have not jumped a 150 Hornet to compare my Safire to. but I have jumped my friends 170 and it was a little slugish ( I feel that would have to do with the 17 more sq feet of material on the Hornet)
Hope that helps
Kirk