landmissle

Interval to change mini-risers

Hi all,
Been awhile since I've posted. I've developed a new passion for vintange-mustangs and recently purchased a 66 GT Fastback. If ya' wanna' see it here's a link
http://photos.yahoo.com/landmissle
Anyways, back to the subject matter. Somewhere, somehow, I got it my head that a prudent mini-riser replacement interval should be around 100 jumps. Well, I recently passed that threshold on my risers and inquired with my local rigger about replacing them. He looked at me like I was nuts and stated that was WAY too early to replace them unless they showed obvious signs of wear. So my question is how often should I replace these little guys. I'm pretty anal about this stuff ( the little detail that my life depends on the maintenance of my rig probably has something to with that....) so I would rather error on the side of conservatism.
I have a Mirage G3 with mini-risers. I'll contact them in the next for days and pose the same question, but, I thought I'd seek some sage wisdom here in the meantime.
Best Regards,
Landmissle

The Mirage online manual says:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Type 17 risers (1” wide) are a high-performance piece of equipment. High-performance translates to low durability. We recommend inspecting Type 17 risers frequently for wear, abrasion, cuts, burns or other damage. In particular, look on the back of the risers for signs that the webbing is stretching away from the grommets. Such separation is cause for riser replacement. Change the risers between 200 and 400 jumps. If you own a Microlined canopy and the lines are ready for replacement, change the risers at the same time. Most of all, remember that these are “high-performance” components that yield low durability. If you are worried about the durability of Type 17 risers, or will not take the time to inspect them regularly, we suggest using the standard Type 8 (2”) risers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
the manufacturers tend to be conservative, so the risers will probably last a lot longer than 200-400 jumps. On the other hand, if you're jumping with an RSL, then a broken riser can be deadly, so being ultra-cautious probably isn't a bad thing.
Geoff

There is another issue besides riser breakage. The riser probably won't break after 400 jumps, so there are lots of people out there who never chaneg them.
The issue that can happen is the dimensions on the 3-ring system can change with time, which can drastically reduce the load reduction capability of the rings and lead to a hard cutaway.
100 jumps is probably too early. Personally, unless something was obviously wrong, I would go to 300 jumps.