sigsby

Wind Tunnel

I am going to be in the Las Vegas area and I have been considering the wind tunnel. I've heard the it's a good way to learn skydiving skills. I am thinking about checking it out but at a cost of five jumps I'm wondering if it's worth the trade. Has anyone else here tried it and if so do you really think it helped. Would you recommend that a student skydiver use this as an additional learning tool?
Get up, Fall down, No problem!
sigsby

I went there a few weeks ago. I did 5 sessions for $120. They are very busy during the weekends and take no reservations, so go early. Did it help? I don't know yet. I'm stuck at AFF 4 so I went there to see if I can fix my problem. I have a bad habit of bending sideways at the hips and sticking my arms too far out, causing a spin that I can't stop. I seemed to have fixed the problem by session 5 in the "tunnel". I'm repeating AFF4 tomorrow and I hope that my problem is fixed. If you're going to be in Vegas, try it at least once. It's a lot of fun.
If you're going to do more than 2 sessions, I recommend bringing your own water. It gets warm in the tunnel. You're wearing thick baggy suits and heat coming off of the electric motor(that's driving the propeller blade) tends to stay in the tunnel.
Hope the info helped.
-GML-

I posted this in the Talk Back thread as well...
I did FlyAway in Vegas right before I did my first "no hold" AFP jump. I went there with a serious potato-chipping problem. I did 5 flights with coaching and another 5 flights without coaching. When I came back my instructor was absolutely amazed at my improvement & I sailed through through the remaining levels.
I've done several solo jumps since then trying all sorts of wild stuff and I've never felt like I wasn't in complete control. Several times I'd screw up and wind up in a flat spin, but I came right out of it. Tunnel time will dramatically improve your flying skills.
BTW. It's especially good for RW folks because you really need to have touch to stay centered over the column.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie