cpoxon

Recent interesting double mal (no injuries) from the UK

I debated whether to put this in incidents but since there were no injuries and it is tandem specific, I decided to put it here. Taken from the Incident Reports (Item 4) of
minutes of the BPA Safety and Training Committee held on the 1st of August 2013
:

One report concerned a malfunction where the Tandem pair were spinning backwards. The instructor carried out his emergency drills, and the pair ended up on their backs. The RSL deployed the reserve bridle line which entangled between both
the instructor and the student’s legs. As the speed (back to earth) increased, so did the pressure on the free-bag, forcing it more into the legs of the instructor and student. The instructor did all he could to clear the free-bag. The free-bag finally cleared at approximately 1,000ft and the reserve began to deploy, which it did at approximately 400ft. the pair landed shortly after without injury. The instructor concerned believed that on this occasion the RSL exacerbated the problem and was considering releasing the RSL before cutting away if presented with a similar situation in the future.

I don't know much else than is reported here except that it wasn't a Sigma.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live