SkyjunkySean

coming back from a bad injury.....when isit time to get in the tunnel?

I am about 8 months back from a pretty bad injury...pelvis, femur lower back etc. I have never flown in the tunnel but was given some tunnel time as a gift. I can walk okay ( slight limp) with only a little pain? any suggestions would be very helpful. I am jonesin bad to get back in the sky , but dont want to push it. so I thought the tunnel wouldbe a little safer alternative.........yes ? no ?

IMO if you're not ready to skydive, you're not really ready for the tunnel. To often it is assumed the tunnel is a "safer" alternative, and it's not. It's got different dangers than jumping from an airplane, but it can be just as taxing on the body, and a collision with the wall can easily aggravate injuries that have not fully healed yet.

It is important that you discuss any previous injuries with a tunnel instructor, preferably one with experience.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'm sure it goes without saying, but before you take up the question with a tunnel instructor or coach, you should discuss it with your doctor. They very likely may not know what a wind tunnel is or does, but they should be able to give you guidance as to easing back into ANY kind of physical activity.
TPM Sister #102

I'm bout fed up with mydoctors, seems they want me to stay hurt. I guess they like those insurance forms to keep coming in. Ihave discussed it with my ortho n he said if I can run I can go, I can't run yet. now my PTdoc....what a joke. He still wants me usin these silly resistance bands instead of even a ten pound weight....got NO use for his advice, the pt guys in his office are rolling their eyes when they see the regimen, I think I'll go with the run advice. Thanx a lot for your input. SeanB|

You know your body and what it's ready for (or not, as the case may be) better than any of us. You and your doctors can make your own medical decisions; I'm just saying that I seriously doubt any instructor would want to be responsible for making the decision about whether you're ready to fly or not. That said, it can be really tiring to wait for a green light from the medical staff! Impatience is probably a good sign that you're improving. ;) I hope so, anyway. Good luck! I hope you're back in the air in no time.

TPM Sister #102