mhwag

Raeford Tunnel Fun (aka "Blowing League") at ParacleteXP

We've just started up a regularly-scheduled, loosely-organized "tunnel league" of local Raeford skydivers at the ParacleteXP tunnel.

Tim D'Annunzio offers after-hours discounted time, if you buy and fly for a full hour. So, to take best advantage of this, everyone who is available and interested on the scheduled mid-week evenings meets at the tunnel, we divide the cost by number of people, split into groups, and have fun.

Since it's loosely organized, teams who want to use the time for practice, or small groups of inexperienced flyers who plan ahead to work with a coach, can partake. Or you can just show up and get organized. The idea is to have a fun boogie atmosphere, get maximum flying at minimum cost, and improve skills.

Twenty people showed up for the first evening, so everyone paid $30 for 5 or 6 2-minute flights. Interest to continue was very high, so we've got two more evenings scheduled.

I'm wondering if any other DZ's and tunnels have similar "leagues" and if so, what worked and what didn't work for them?
Whatever you are, be a good one.

we have tunnel leagues as SVCO. two days during the week for adults, two for kids. we struggled a little bit with the coaching, instructors were volunteering the coaching and that led to a couple misunderstandings about the value of the coaching. Chris Gray or Derek Cox can give you the whole story on that one. otherwise it's been great. lots of happy return flyers who's skill sets have skyrocketed. hopefully this season we'll have a day at the DZ loosely devoted to organizing the regular tunnel flyers. most of these people have less than 100 jumps, (including one woman who has not finished AFF but is flying solid head down in the tube), but the quality of the jumps should be exceptional. i don't deal with the front desk much, so i'm not sure if the pricing was a big issue, but i do think it changed a couple times, which i assume means it went up a little.
leagues have been a great program for us. good luck with it.

Say what you mean. Do what you say.

The adult league prices at SVCO vary, depending upon which night during the week you fly. One night is set up so that each flyer is guaranteed to have at least 10 minutes of time, and that one is a bit more expensive because it's a guaranteed amount of time each week and, depending upon what they flyers are working on, may garner two instructors. The other section of adult league is less expensive, but it's given a full hour's worth of time and capped out at ten flyers. That group knows that they'll at least get six minutes, if not more--and the benefit from there is exponential for the belly flyers who share most, if not all of their minutes, with others. It just depends on what you're looking for.

The other big benefit that I see in the league format is that it introduces you to other tunnel flyers who might be interested in flying together. There are a whole group of us who never would have met at the dz but fly with each other quite often, whether as part of league or just as additional tunnel time purchased. Our skill levels are all over the board, but while we work on our own things, we frequently share rotations to fly together doing . . . whatever. I think that makes it easier to get together to fly outside of league. SVCO has sold a lot of minutes to us outside of league. I would fly under any circumstances, but I usually book time with one or more friends. Almost universally, those tend to be other people who are or were in league.

Raeford's version sounds like a great time as well, just with a bit of a different approach. ENJOY!
TPM Sister #102

Yes, coaching by volunteers definitely can blur the value of coaching. People tend to undervalue those things they do not pay for. We're recommending that Tunnel Fun attendees who want actual coaching make individual arrangements with official coaches - that can still be worked into the rotation as long as the groups have at least 3 people. Which is not the same as having an experienced flyer or two who work informally with a group, and should not be perceived as such.

ParacleteXP has several discount possibilities, from purchasing after-hours time by the hour, to monthly memberships with (kind of) unlimited time. Tunnel Fun is a way of getting together an informal group with mixed skill levels and tight budgets to maximize flying time and fun. I anticipate that our flying abilities will benefit also.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

I had a blast at your first event, Mary. Even though I tended to be a floating punching-and-kicking-machine, I enjoyed it thoroughly. Maybe next time, you won't get saddled with two meatbags like Barry and myself. B|

Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Tuesday's coming fast! Hope to see lots of locals there. I mean, if Kramer can make it out to these things...:P

Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Tuesday's coming fast! Hope to see lots of locals there. I mean, if Kramer can make it out to these things...:P

hi there!
I can't believe I am missing all the fun there... oh well, soon enough I will be there with a new "family member" :)MUACH:)
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)