Zing

Cale Yarborough's sport death jump story

Found this on a news wire today. The entire article can be found here;
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6261964?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=167

1. Cale Comes Down To Earth
Cale Yarborough's list of near-death, off-track incidents lends a little perspective on how ridiculously out of proportion the Jimmie Johnson story has grown. Throughout Yarborough's life, the three-time Cup champ has been bitten by a rattlesnake, struck by lightning, shot, and nearly attacked by his pet bear while flying an airplane. And no, I'm not making any of this up.
But the single greatest and most bizarre NASCAR Injury happened in Jacksonville, Fla. in 1958. Yarborough was working with a traveling air show as a skydiver and leaped from a plane at 5,000 feet. At 2,000 feet he pulled the rip cord ... and nothing happened. He pulled again ... still nothing. At about 200 feet above the Earth, the chute weakly rolled out, providing a minimal amount of drag to slow him down.
"Lucky for me, I landed on a patch of high grass and mud, which gave me a little bit of a cushion. I walked away with a chipped elbow."
After reading that, we may now know why Jimmie Johnson refuses to let the real details of his golf cart crash be revealed. He's waiting until he can come up with a better story, something that can compete with horse wrecks, lost appendages and unopened parachutes.
Zing Lurks

But the single greatest and most bizarre NASCAR Injury happened in Jacksonville, Fla. in 1958. Yarborough was working with a traveling air show as a skydiver and leaped from a plane at 5,000 feet. At 2,000 feet he pulled the rip cord ... and nothing happened.

Isn't that a dirty high pull for a 1958 show jump?!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live