howardwhite

Lakewood/Orange Reunion web site

The November Parachutist has a brief account of the Parachutes Incorporated reunion in September.
If you want to see more, look here.

Even if you don't know any of the people (including four <100 D license holders) you might be interested in/amused by old pictures of jumping in the sixties/seventies, and some neat old airplanes.

HW

Howard, Never had the pleasure of making a leap at Orange. Did jump out of that Norseman at Elsinore and the DC3 ... but I was wondering if there were any of these at the reunion?

Sorry, the stop watch says Parachutes Incorporated across the face and has the PI logo beneath second hand. Just some stuff I've pack-ratted away over the years.
Zing Lurks

Howard, Never had the pleasure of making a leap at Orange. Did jump out of that Norseman at Elsinore and the DC3 ... but I was wondering if there were any of these at the reunion?

Sorry, the stop watch says Parachutes Incorporated across the face and has the PI logo beneath second hand. Just some stuff I've pack-ratted away over the years.

The Norseman fleet went away when PI closed its doors in 1984. The Town of Orange breathed a collective sigh of relief; they were really noisy, as you may remember, and really busy. I had days when I personally J/M'd 10 loads of static lines (from 2,500 feet) and others did the same.
Most of them are back in Canada, as I understand it. One (853) was the one that fell into ruin at Elsinore but -- as you can see on my site -- has been beautifully restored.
Did you see the picture of the Howard DGA-15 at Elsinore. I put some students out of it when I was visiting there in, I think, 1976.
I've seen the stop watch but never saw the World Meet flag. You are as much a packrat as I.

HW

I did see that photo. In fact, I was probably on one of, if not, the last load that Norseman flew at Elsinore. It was having engine problems, along with a few others. We were going to go to 7,500 feet, but it was SO LOUD and the engine was backfiring so much that we gave up and got out at 4,000.
The only other Norseman I've encountered was on floats in north Canada at Big Grassy Lake. I tagged along on a couple flights going to pick up fishermen at trophy lakes and Ike Ennes allowed me a bit of stick time and a couple landings and takeoffs. Once tried to get a job up there, but they were only allowd to hire Canadian pilots.
Funny how stuff sort of stacks up in boxes over the years. I've got a few minor treasures of parachute stuff that I can't even find anymore. They're in a box ... somewhere.
Zing Lurks

I have email addresses for all of them. If the email address in your profile is correct, I can forward it to them; it's then up to them if they ever want to hear from you again.:P

Same for anyone else; I don't want to give out email addresses but will forward info to them or anyone else in the pix. Some don't have emails and I would be happy to snail-mail them.
HW