DrEco

Jack Smith Creamed In Circa 1965

Does anyone remember when Jack Smith, the Lancaster DZ safety officer, creamed in. It was sometimes in the 1964 to 1966 time frame. Jack was jumping with a student. He was working with and looking at the student and when the student pulled too low Jack did not have enough altitude for his chute to open after he pulled. DrEco D-115

You can replay directly to me at [email protected]

I'd like to help answer this since I've enjoyed reading your stories about jumping at Lancaster's Fox Field while working at Edwards AFB. The answer might be in the Lancaster newspaper (Ledger Gazette?) archives, if they've archived them (microfiche or better yet, internet). I would like to share some of the information on Mr Smith from Gregory's book "The Falcon's Disciples". On p. 135 (First edition, 1967), someone is quoted as saying that Smith removed the pilot chute from his reserve the day before his death, and claims he had full line extension at impact. On p. 204, Bob Buquor is quoted, saying Smith was "very safety conscious" and that he "threaten to ground us at fifteen" (meaning pulling at 1500 feet, I suppose). Hope you find this of interest.