skyflybabe

USPA temp membership

I was in US last week and was told that the USPA have recently changed their rules and that if you have previously been a USPA temporary member you can now no longer take out another temporary membership and that you have to pay the full $60 and become a full USPA member to be allowed to jump. This was the info we were told at Perris. We were only there for an afternoon and therefore decided not to jump because of this cost.
Can anyone confirm if this is correct?
I had other friends jumping at Elsinore at the same time who did not have to do this. Perris told us it was a new USPA rule.
If anyone can confirm if this is true or not that would be great.

I believe the date on this is 2007. I copied it from the USPA Web Page. It was board approved.

If you plan to jump in the US more than one season and want to be covered by USPA insurance, you may want to join USPA.

Copied from Web Site
Temporary Membership Evolves to Introductory Membership

Starting September 1, USPA's Temporary Membership becomes an Introductory Membership, with some important differences. Unchanged is the application process; the Introductory Membership can only be sold by a Group Member DZ and the USPA third-party insurance begins the moment the application is received by fax or phone at USPA. Differences are that the Introductory Membership period will be 90 days, the cost will be $20 (vs. $15) and an individual can only purchase the Introductory Membership one time. All Group Members will soon receive packets with the new applications and detailed information.

Edit: I am checking to see whether or not an old temporary membership counts as a one time introductory membership. In my view, it should not.

Looks like you are right. It appears to me to be an unintended consequence. Without going into detail on what went wrong here, let me just say I have asked that this be on the agenda for the BOD meeting in July.

Ed