shibu

Pakistan anyone?

I will be making my first trip to Pakistan in the next 6 mos or so.

It seems that not too many people have jumped there. I cant find any organized skydiving clubs & my attempts at contacting flying clubs have thus far been fruitless.

Does anyone know how to go about chartering a helicopter or hot air balloon for this purpose? B|

I know I have to check the winds, etc but what area should I be looking for in a country with no dropzones? I would hate to run into a ceasna or get shot at on the way down.

BTW, I expect that I will only have an A license by the time I get there.:S

Thinking you might need to look into the laws over there first. That and the cost per jump of leasing a chopper for just you to jump. Oh and surveying the landing area for suitability.Well and to be honest(if your profile is correct) if with 24 jumps you should be doing this on your own, but since that was not your question you can disreguard that if you want. don't want to be one of those people that gives advise that wasn't asked for.

Good Luck!

Looking into the laws.... Im trying but dont know where to start. Hopefully whoever I charter it from can help me.

Cost per jump for me alone... yes very expensive Im sure, but how often will I be in Pakistan.

Surveying the land area... only 24 jumps. Good point. I did think of this already. Hopefully I will have 50 or so by the time I do it but I realize I am still very new to the sport.... Any ideas on what to look for when surveying the land. Are there any web sites with maps showing hazerdous objects such as power lines? How could I do this besides actually driving around the area.

Any ideas on what to look for when surveying the land. Are there any web sites with maps showing hazerdous objects such as power lines? How could I do this besides actually driving around the area.

I would prefer that you stick to jumping at established drop zones for the time being before you try to set up something like this. But here is a tool you can use: Google Earth. Great satellite photos of most urban areas around the world where you can zoom in close enough to identify cars. It will also show 3D rendering of mountains and hills where you can change the point of view from straight down to looking at the horizon. Download the program on your computer, and when you open it, it'll hook you up to the satellite photo database.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Billy I think we can both agree that looking at Google Earth is no way to survey a landing area. With 1700+ jumps I would not come close to considering this.

To the OP. I tried as nicely as I could to let you know that this is probably not a good idea. The fact that you would even consider doing a jump into a place you have never seen from the ground kind of drives my point home. You should really think about what you are thinking about doing.

Billy I think we can both agree that looking at Google Earth is no way to survey a landing area.

True enough. I've seen photos on there that are several years old. Even then, I wouldn't bother trying to get a jump in if I were going to some strange country for any other reason.

Plus, a lot of drop zones are in rural areas that do not have the sharp clarity that the urban areas (at least in the US) do.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ok sounds like I'm biting off more than I can chew. Any suggestions on how to start learning about surveying the land... are there any books to read about it... sounds like it is a subject in itself.

Should I wait unitll I have a C or D license before I attempt something like this? Or do I need 700+ jumps and 7 years in the sport?[:/]

Ok sounds like I'm biting off more than I can chew. Any suggestions on how to start learning about surveying the land... are there any books to read about it... sounds like it is a subject in itself.

Should I wait unitll I have a C or D license before I attempt something like this? Or do I need 700+ jumps and 7 years in the sport?[:/]

Why are you going to Pakistan in the first place? Just curious. Also, what nationality are you? Sorry I didn't check your profile. It's a dangerous place for some people to be.

I am accompanying my future wife there to see her family. My family is originally from India. I was born and raised in the USA but I think I can pass if I keep my mouth shut & leave my baseball caps at home.

Its a dangerous place even for the locals at times and being an American and/or Indian will not help... Now that I think of it the safest place for me will probablty be 5k AGL.;)

I worked there in the 90s.

The only non commercial aircraft flying were Military.

The only parachuting was done by the Military.

Things may have changed there, but i doubt it.

You may be correct. Everyone I ask seems to say it is not legal for anyone but the military to jump there. [:/]

I'm still hopefull that it may be possible although I will probably wait until I get my C license before I attempt it.

I agree with Low_Pull on this. As a jumper who has jumped in Pakistan in the past, there are currently no civilian jump facilities in the country.

Without wishing to sound rude or negative as neither is intended, its naive to assume that you could just rent an aircraft and start jumping in any country let alone Pakistan, even with a D license! CAA guidelines in most countries, including Pakistan are very strict. And that is the least of the hurdles - national security being a paramount factor. Currently a few of us are talking to the right people in Pakistan with a view to opening up a drop zone outside of Karachi, but we are still some way away from achieving that for reasons I wont mention in this thread, as that is a separate topic in itself.

If you are however still keen on doing jumps out there, I would suggest para gliding as the nearest best option, which is a comparatively new sport in Pakistan, near Islamabad and is conducted by Hawk Gliding Club. Their web is http://www.parapk.net/home.html
You can view further articles at http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=292274&area=/insight/insight__escape/

Good luck and enjoy your trip.