nightcrew17

College Skydiving Club Questions

I am trying to start a skydiving club at my college, University of Toledo in Ohio, and I'm trying to find some insurance that I could sell to my members, just in case they got hurt. Anybody have any good ideas? I do remember when I went thru my first jump class, they had a $10,000 life insurance policy thru USPA for an extra $50. Do they still do that, or am I hallucinating again?

Member Benefits
*A 12-month subscription to Parachutist Magazine, the world's largest and most widely read skydiving publication.
*A voice at all levels of Government.
Eligibility to participate in USPA awards, licenses, and rating programs.
***Liability Insurance protection and eligibility to purchase other types of insurance
*Special members-only discounts and programs, including credit/bank cards, rental cars, and specials on Store merchandise.
*Access to more than 300 USPA-affiliated Drop Zones worldwide.
*Eligibility to participate in USPA-sanctioned national level competition including selection of teams to represent the U.S. in international competition

Stay away from trying to do any sort of outside insurance. We (Texas A&M Skydiving Club) have our club membership forms setup just like a DZ's release of liability form to help keep us "clean".

When you try to setup extras like the insurance, you're just asking for an opportunity for a law suit, etc.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Selling life insurance to first time skydivers is just plain old bad advertising. :P

Seriously though, it really isn't part of a club's responsibility to offer insurance, and your school might have issues with a club that expects people to get hurt. Also, knowing college students, nobody's gonna want to pay anything extra. We can't sell $10 t-shirts to people that just spent $340 on AFF1 (with video).

Good luck with the club!

Dave

Here's another tip...find out about what your school offers in the way of insurance. We did a demo jump onto campus and I stupidly went and got demo insurance from the USPA (over $500 for one day for $1 million) since that was what our club did before. It turns out that the school's insurance policy would have covered us.

As for outside insurance policies, don't do it. It's better for your club to say that you only educate the public by providing info on skydiving and where to go for skydiving. Let the dz worry about liability issues...you don't need to worry about it until you get club gear that you allow people to use.

Whatever you do, don't do it through the school. The best thing for the schol is to be at a long arm's length from the entire operation. Our school attorney drew up a simple waiver that members sign, saying, in essence, that the member acknowledges that the school does not in any way endorse the activity or the facility providing the training.

jk - faculty advisor.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.