flyvsfly

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello,
I will be in Rio this X-mas and New Years.
I noticed their is an airport by baha shopping center, it also appears that people land on the beach ( do I need flotation gear?). I was wondering if anyone has jumped in Rio or knows of anywhere I can jump that is close by.
I also do not speak Portuguese, will that be a problem?
Thank-you,
Nick

I have jumped in rio,.
Barra Jumping is the name of the DZ. I think it is listed on here in the DZ list by country.
You can land on the beach.. but not all of the loads are to the beach it is more of a special thing. you need to have a fair amount of jumps to do it.
you dont need flotation device... at least i wasnt wearing any.
THe jumps are expensive like $40 each out of an islander @ 10k
the people are super super cool and helpfull. The owner of the DZ was really nice and let me land on the beach... you land in front of a particular bar on the beach. the owner is a really cool guy and totally down with jumpers.. I had plenty of free beer at that bar and made great friends.
The view is spectacular. and the people at the dz are awesome. I highly recomend making a few jumps if you are in town.
the DZ is at the airport in front of the Barra's shopping mall. Its about 15 min drive from Ipanema beach. I cant remember how much it cost to get there but it wasnt cheap either... You can also hop on a bus... but that can be a tad bit dangerous especially with all of the gear your going to be carrying.
I have a video of when i was there. pm me if you wanna check it out.
blue skies,
dan
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

I'll be there at the same time. I think i talked to some jumpers from rio this february.. and yes, they do speak english. and after all, the green light is the same in all language ;-)

@droquette: i'd be interested in seeing that video, too..

"He tried to kill me! He tried to f***ing kill me!"

Hey,
If your going to be out in Rio this December and January maybe we could hit the airport together.
I am an freeflyer with about 800 jumps.
I will been in Rio and Mineas Dec 17th through Jan 8.
We will have a car and my wife speaks portuguese.
Lat me know.
Nick