xijonix

Small Reserves in Student/Rental Gear

After reading the thread about the new jumper deciding on what size reserve to get,

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4509476;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

It got me thinking about some of the Rental gear I jumped and whether or not the reserve was actually appropriate.

I'm about 225lbs with gear. When I was ready to jump a 190, the rig I rented had a Smart 150 reserve in it. I personally felt that the reserve was too small to be paired with that main, but assumed that the gear shop owner knew more than I did and wouldn't tell me to jump it if he felt it was not safe.

I cant remember if there were any other combinations like this, but this one just keep me pondering. Has anyone else experienced rental gear with reserves that were too small and is this a common thing for rental gear?

xijonix

Has anyone else experienced rental gear with reserves that were too small and is this a common thing for rental gear?

That is a good question. It depends on how the DZ came to provide the "rental gear".

If they bought it new, it would seem like the container was sized rather small for the size main. But if they put it together from a used rig, maybe the sizes were already determined, and it is up to the DZ and the jumper to make a judgement on who should be jumping it.

Most "student gear" is sized for a fairly low wing loading, so it depends on whether you make a distinction between "student gear" and "rental gear".

Some DZs make no distinction between student gear and rental gear, having a number of various sizes, and other DZs have all their "student rigs" the same large size, and then have some smaller "rental rigs" for when the students get more experienced.

Bottom line is that DZs/instructors/students need to make sure that students are jumping reasonably sized canopies, both main and reserve.

xijonix

From what I remember, there is no real distinction between their gear just for student and those for recently licensed jumpers. They just have a wide selection of varying sized and this one in particular had a 190/150R set up.

You jumped the set up. Obviously you decided for yourself that it was safe to do so.

wildcard451

You jumped the set up. Obviously you decided for yourself that it was safe to do so.

I don't think OP did.
xijonix

I personally felt that the reserve was too small to be paired with that main, but assumed that the gear shop owner knew more than I did and wouldn't tell me to jump it if he felt it was not safe.

:S:S:S

It's not his life--it's yours. You are not a student any longer (your profile indicates B license). Do not rely on other people to keep you safe. As one example (that doesn't make the gear shop owner look like a bad guy), perhaps he just assumed you were comfortable on a 150, but were choosing to fly a larger main for some reason. As a licensed jumper, it's your job, and yours alone, to keep yourself safe, to keep everyone else around you safe, and to assume that they're all trying to kill you (i.e., be wary and be prepared for whatever stupid thing someone else might do, whether it's rent you gear you're not ready for or fly into your airspace on final).

It's not his life--it's yours. You are not a student any longer (your profile indicates B license). Do not rely on other people to keep you safe. As one example (that doesn't make the gear shop owner look like a bad guy), perhaps he just assumed you were comfortable on a 150, but were choosing to fly a larger main for some reason. As a licensed jumper, it's your job, and yours alone, to keep yourself safe, to keep everyone else around you safe, and to assume that they're all trying to kill you (i.e., be wary and be prepared for whatever stupid thing someone else might do, whether it's rent you gear you're not ready for or fly into your airspace on final).

I should have clarified. I ultimately did choose not to jump it and asked if I could have that main rigged to a different setup. My initial though was that it would not be suggested to someone if it wasn't safe, but like you said, it's my life and my decision which he respected. I'm Comfortable with one downsize, but two in an already bad situation just didn't sit well with me.

I would say "good choice" to not jump with the smaller reserve. The chances of landing off can be expected to be higher with many reserve rides. Landing off under an unfamilar and smaller canopy would not be my choice.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

This is a great point, and I'm sure Gerado will want to chime in as well.... :)
Just kiddin'n

Yes this happens, it shouldn't, this is obvious....

But rephrasing what your asking is also pointing out that the students that may be affected by this issue, don't know enough to ask? They also, if you look at the type of places that this might happen....very busy, poor chain of command, places where students could get lost....etc, etc, shit that happens isn't always willful or because some DZ's are shitholes....

But the question is: How can we prevent this type of thing from happening???

You have done your part, and for that I thank you ;)
C

People seem to think that safety issues once "solved" go away and that's all there is too it. Trust me... Safety is a constant war. It never goes away! It is a daily fight!

And I'll tell ya something else...It's a lot more work than you think. Safety is like foreplay, from a gals perspective, this is something that most guys just don't get...No matter how much time we have spent "setting the table," it is never enough to just grab for the desert, spend more time at it and when you think you have spent enough time, then add another 1/2 hour at least....

(I'm gone a catch heck for that one????) :)

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."