cmnorris

Collegiate Skydivers

What ever happened to the Collegiate Skydivers Association "movement"? I know that people talked about it for a while, but I never heard what the outcome was.

I have had 2 people in the last 3 months contact me for info on how to start their own club. It's too bad that there isn't a "central place" to go for ideas, suggestions, and support.

By the way, I would like to update the collegiate club contact list (the one started by Maryland). So...if you belong to a club, please post info or just send it to me.

Yeah, our most current list of clubs and contacts is at http://www.inform.umd.edu/studentorg/cpsc/OtherClubs.html. If your club isn't listed or the link doesn't work, post the correct info. The contacts are in the excel file at the bottom.

Lewis's article on how to start a club is a good start for info. An organization would be really cool but I think it's probably too much work for college students that are probably already running club's of their own. Maybe the college skydiving listserve or another email list would be an easier solution.

Dave

We had a skydiving club at Florida International University, but the president disactivated the club, because of lack of interest. There were only 3 of us that were actively jumping, another 2 that just used the club to get the perks that Skydive Miami gave us. I have been thinking of restarting the club and actively recruiting, but with my class and work load it is very difficult.
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson

That's the same problem that Jeff had up at RIT and once again it's the same thing that James Madison University is now facing.

How have other clubs managed to get their university to support them? I'm not sure how we (UF) did it since our club has been around since the 1980s.

It seems like stressing that the club is purely social and educational in nature would be the way to go. Since you probably aren't going to use campus as the DZ, the DZ that you do jump at assumes full liability (hence the pages long waivers we all fill out).

Our club only has to come up with a $1 million insurance policy when we want to make a demo jump onto campus.

No, I've never jumped at the smaller dzs around Madison, I'm hoping to this spring or summer. :)

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

That's the same problem that Jeff had up at RIT and once again it's the same thing that James Madison University is now facing.

Jeff from RIT here ;)... Even if official recognition by the school isn't an option, there's no reason why an unofficial club can't have a presence -- all that's needed is a few dedicated members, and lots of creativity. Right now, my club has no prospects of getting recognized, meaning no budget and no advertising in official club listings and literature. To that, I say, 'so what?' Despite not having a budget, I'm able to get discounts at my dropzone, and I can still litter the campus with flyers and get write-ups in the school magazine. It's a constraint I have to deal with, but it forces me to think of other solutions.

Whereas funding would help us be able to travel and compete, that's not our primary goal. I think a lot of students want to try skydiving, but they're few and far between -- and not real willing to go to the dropzone by themselves. Finding all of these people and going as a group is a great way to introduce people to the sport, and this has led to a number of individuals making additional tandems or AFF jumps as well. And no one's going to tell me we're not a club, just because the school's risk manager says it can't be.

http://www.skydiverit.com

-Jeff