lobo

Jumping In Hawaii

I'm going to Honolulu on a business trip in about a week and have tacked on one extra day to get a few jumps in. Anybody jumped there that can tell me the best DZ on the island (if there's a choice) and if you know if you're required to have a flotation device?
Sunshine, Blue Skies & Light Breezes

<==LOBO==>

Likewise, though this topic probably belongs in the Places to Jump forum, I will appreciate any suggestions for dropzones exiting over Kona. I'm scheduled to be there in June should somebody be interested in the prospect of renting lift together, say a heli.

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

Although I have not jumped there in about 6 months, my favorite DZ is Skydive Hawaii. The people there are rad, they have a King Air and seem to be very "up jumper" friendly. The other 2 DZs are nice too though. Drop Zone I think caters mostly to tandems and has a C-402. PISC also has a King Air. Wish I was going with you!!! BTW, if you are an experienced jumper, you don't need to wear flotation gear. Stay away from the trees and land in the upper right quadrant of the field. Also, there are no drop zones in Kona :(

Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Get there early. The sunset loads have been known to go at noon. Eat breakfast or lunch at the Haleiwa cafe. You're up there, might as well see it.

No jumping on other islands unle$$ you are ready to pay. It would be cheaper to fly to Oahu for the day.

Attached pictures of the view you will have. Stay away from the banana fields. Banana sap stains, I've heard.

Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Final Jump 5.jpg

JumpHI.jpg

Get there early, the post about sunset load being at noon, isn't too far off the mark....If you are going during the week call Skydive Hawaii or Pacific and see what there tandems look like. If there are no tandems (which is possible during the week, given the lagging Japanese tourism there at the moment due to the war), they may not send planes up. I'd hate to see you drive all the way up there and not jump. Go early whatever day you go. How many jumps do you have?

I'm heading down to Oahu next week and was planning on spending two days at one of the dropzones at Dillingham. However, without having checked with the dzm's, I'm now wondering if my A license and 110 jumps qualifies me to jump there.

Any updated news on current requirements? These DZ's teach AFF, right? What do they do with their graduated students? Send them to another DZ until they have a D? Hmmmm.

Thanks,
Rainman

I wouldn't plan on spendning tow whole days at dillingham field, as they rearely jump all day. Plan for visits in the morning, say 8am or 9am. They usually close up (especially during the week) in the early afternoon after A) they get done with the tandems they bring in from waikiki beach, or B) the winds pick up. Either way, they rarely jump after 2pm. The up side is a gorgeous beach is right across the street and the north shore, Waimea (sp?) and the Pipe Line are justa short drive east of airport. If you spend your whole day at the DZ, especially two, you'll wont be making the best use of yoru time there. Call ahead to see if they have tandems that day and ask how long they plan on jumping. Pacific and SDH are side by side, if one isn't jumping the other probably isnt either.

I alst forgot, and above all else there is a hamburger joint on th north shore, famous, the burgers kick maximum ass, your arterie will never fogive you, but if you have to choose between jumping and the burger, get the burger. Ask the locals for the name, it's on the only main road along the water.Mahalo, TOm

We went there last year and arrived at 9:00 AM on a Friday as everyone was shutting down >:(...

Then, a tandem, and another, and another...we ended up doing four jumps by noon before they did actually shutdown B|...

I'm not sure what's required for a license, but we got our water training (just in case) - good thing to do; every one of my tracks was out over the water...

Have a blast!

Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.