ickleFish

Licenses?

Hi,

I've done a quick search, but can't find anything, so sorry if it's already been asked....

I'm in the UK, but am going to be doing an AFF course in Canada this year (partly because it's cheaper, but mostly beacuse I'm going to be spending some time there anyway). I'm guessing there are different rules and licenses with skydiving for different countries, right?

What I would like to know is how the licenses go in each country, and what sort of problems am I going to have if I decide I evetually have enough money to do a jump in the UK later on?

Any links or help would be great,

Thanks

ive only jumped in the US and australia

but usually if you are current in one country the dropzone will work with you. al you need to do it buy thier counrtys membership and a jump!

you may need to do a coach jump so they know youare legit but its not so bad!
My photos

My Videos

As long as you manage to get the Canadian A-licence and whatever other experience to make it equivalent to a UK one (AFF in the UK includes hop'n'pop and 10 solo consolidation jumps), you should be ok. I don't know what the Canadian requirements are, they may be higher than the UK ones.

I would recommend that you find out what the Canadian requirements are (perhaps a Canadian instructor here will fill you in) and speak to the CCI at the UK dropzone you are most likely to be jumping at on your return, before you go, just to see what they say. Problems could arise if you are only part way through your AFF on your return to the UK.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

I’m going to make an assumption that you are going to be jumping at a Canadian Sport Parachute Association DZ, therefore, it would be a Progressive Free Fall (PFF) course, basically the same but I will run down the requirements for getting to a CSPA A CoP.

First in Canada we have a pre-CoP licence called the Solo Certificate, for the most part your PFF program will cover those requirements except for a few solo skills.

For a CSPA A you need 25 jumps and 10 minutes of freefall; you must perform in freefall a backloop, frontloop and barrel roll on the same jump; 10 self guided landings within 30 meters of the target; under canopy perform a 360o front riser spiral, a 360o rear riser spiral, and a rear riser flare (note all of these must be performed above 2000’ and do not need to be on the same jump) there is one more canopy skill a 180o flat turn in both direction; you must also get a 2 way Formation Skydiving endorsement (at least 5 jumps with a free fall coach); a Sport Canopy endorsement, main packing endorsement, emergency procedures review and write a test with a 80% or better score (I think it is 80 questions, but it has been a long time since I wrote mine).

I have had several friends that have come through my home DZ from the UK and got their CND A, then went back to the UK and had trouble jumping there, I have herd similar stories with a US A and going to the UK. But the skill you get will not be in question and you should be able to “jump” through any hoops with relative ease.

BTW. Where in Canada are you going?

Sean
CSPA ratings C1, C2, IA, IB, QE, RA, and EJR

Thanks for the help there.

I'll be jumping at Eden North (just outside Edmonton, www.edennorth.com), I've only done a tandem jump so far, but want to do more, which is why I'm going to do the AFF course (or whatever it may be called).

Is the CSPA A that you mention the "A-license" that I've heard about? How long would it usually take to get to that sort of level?