freeflyfrog

Jumping in Europe

Hey all,

I'm going to Italy in October, and having never jumped in Europe, I was hoping those of you from the states with such experience could share any helpful hints about travelling with my rig, paperwork to bring, etc. What should I expect?

I would also like to do some working jumps while I am there, so any information from Americans (or other non European Union members) with that experience would be most appreciated.

Grazie!

Hey!
Have fun jumping out here! I'm living in Italy right now, and have only jumped at Salerno so my advice is limited to that experience.

They have some strange requirements out here...bring every last piece of documentation you can muster--- bring your USAA license, your reserve repack card, your logbook AND:
1) a note from your doctor that says you are physically fit to skydive (I'm not kidding) The Italian gov't has a requirement for this medical certificate and this DZ is surprisingly difficult about having that piece of paper. I managed to talk my way through it b/c I'm military and I promised to bring one next time.
2) A copy of USPA's 3rd party liability insurance--even though they are a USPA DZ, they didn't seem to know that USPA had insurance so I had to talk through that as well!

Make sure your reserve is in date--- if it expires here, the reserve repack process is confusing. If you have your reserve packed in italy, your rig has to be registered and treated like an aircraft....I'm not looking forward to my first reserve repack next month.

Flying with my rig to europe was not a problem. I put it in a plain ol black piece of carry on luggage and---CARRIED IT ON!!! Air Italia lost my checked baggage for 3 days, but I had my rig with me so all was okay :) None of the airport screeners took a 2nd look at my rig.

Skydivesalerno was very different than any US DZ I've been to (Hawaii, Eloy, Las Vegas, Mississippi) the pace is slow and they seem to run loads when 'they feel like it'...there seems to be no pressure to manifest or pack--- even though everyone is standing around doing nothing and the wx is beautiful----they just stand around.

Then suddenly for no reason they'll start shouting out names of people who have manifested themselves on the chalkboard and off you go!

Plan to spend more money on jump tix. I think Salerno's tix are $25 US.

Prego
-kajrv

Thanks, Kjarv, that's all very helpful.

I will be skydiving in Ravenna on the Adriatic coast. And I will have all the paperwork you listed (although I didn't know about the insurance stuff... good point!).

I also plan to carry my rig onboard... I can't imagine doing it any other way.

If I make it to Salerno, I'll look you up!

Ciao e grazie!

I jumped in Ravenna 2 summers ago, and it was hands down my favorite DZ in Italy (I've never been as far south as Salerno, though). I found it to be the most organized Italian DZ, too -- there were a lot of loads (and my friends there are always raving about the CASA) and really nice areas to chill out in. The people were friendly, most spoke some English, and the living situation was pretty OK: although the bunkhouses are a little muggy and cramped, the showers were really well kept. And dinners were amazing -- the owners of the DZ would prepare huge home-made dinners every Fri-Sat-Sun and most of the jumpers would eat together, with the owners and the pilots. Made for lots of good fun.
Anyway I'm hoping to go back this Aug-Sept, it was really great.

Note to self: AVOID Italy for skydiving

another note: avoid AlItalia, period.
lost my bags, flight delayed for hours, changed my flight to one going through milan instead of rome without even telling me...

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."