CAFFPM

Going solo!!! Need info???

Ok so i got through the whole AFF deal, from here I plan a number of solo's to polish those basic skills followed by some pro instruction and lots of jumps. My question(s) are this.

1. I'm going to slowly work down my canopy size before making a purchase, I know enough that I shouldn'd rush this process. Furthermore, I understand that two people of the same size don't always fly the same equipment. That aside what's an "average" size chute for somebody 6' 195lbs??? I want to get a ballpark idea of where I MIGHT wind up in the next few years.

2. What is the one thing I can do to become a safer jumper?

3. At what point should I look to join a team? What is an "average" number of jumps to start looking for an invitation?

I'm sure I'll have more later...thanks for your opinions, I promise I won't take anyone's word as being written in stone.
Skydiving: It's like dodge ball, with a really big ball...

1:
Take a look at the some manufacturors web sights for info on how big a chute you should have.

Their recomendations are based on wing loading which is a lb to ft2 figure.

You take your exit weight (your weight + kit = approx 215lb) divided by the size of canopy in square foot.

So if you were jump a 215 canopy your wing loading would be 1:1. This is about the right wing loading for a novice jumper, although this will depend on your skill level so the only real place for advice on this point is your instructors - they may recomend something a bit smaller if you are ready for it and want something with a bit more longevety. Ask them.

You ask about in a few years time... this will depend a lot on how many jumps you make. Many people want to downsize for various reasons and I would expect that after a hundred jumps or so you may want to take small steps down from a 1:1 loaded canopy.

Therefore in a few years time you could be jumping any number of different canopies based upon your experiance and direction in the sport.

2:
dont swoop - at least not yet
Read DZ.com
talk to people
watch people screw up
practice everything, and practice high
again, the best source of this info has to be your instructors - they know you.

3:
You can join a team at any time. If you join one off AFF they will be a very novice team, thats all. I would strongly recomend joining a club (if there are any arround you) - you will get loads of support and progress far faster than jumping as an individual. Get some RW coaching. Then figure out what kinda team you want to join - there are a lot of very different discaplines.