Gravitymaster

AAD Brands

Now, I haven't actually seen an Astra so far so my question is (genuine curiosity, honest), do you think that it could be accidentally turned off? With Cypress and Vigil it's near impossible.

Yes, you could. It's unlikely, but not nearly as difficult as a Cypres. The control unit is mounted on the mudflap. The on/off switch is a simple slide switch. The control unit is *supposed* to have a plastic sleeve on it that slides out of the way to access the switch, but I've seen Astra's in use without that sleeve. Also, the sleeve could easily slide out of the way in freefall.

Additionally, I know about the Cypres growing pains. I know there was the RF interference that triggered the little sleeves for the control unit. The thing is, misfires were extremely rare and I never personally saw one.

I've seen a few Astra misfires, despite the fact that that are dramatically less common than, uh, Cyprii? I wouldn't jump a rig with one on it unless it was turned off, and even then I'd be a little wary. I just don't trust them.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Suppose the DZO at your Dropzone suddenly announced that all jumper must have a Vigil AAD. He said that his reason was because in his/her opinion he/she felt the Vigil was a safer AAD. He/she said he felt that less maintenence made it more reliable.

I'm sorry but I think I may have missed hearing about any cases of the CYPRES actually being the cause of any skydiving incident EVER.

That dzo would be slitting his own throat IMO. I think the Vigil has a fairly long way to go before proving itself as Airtec's CYPRES has.

No one has said it did. I think you may have missed the point of the poll.