timbarrett

Tunnel+AFF

Why didn't anyone tell me to do it this way earlier!

After flailing around on a few AFF jumps last year I signed up for a tunnel camp in Orlando and then went through Skydive U's Tunnel AFF program with Rob Laidlaw.
All I can say is that the difference for me with my previous attempts to get through was like night and day. Obviously a lot of the credit goes to the great coaching I got from Rusty Lewis in the tunnel and from Rob throughout the course. The difference that results from being confident in one's stability and control during the early stages of AFF makes it so much easier to relax and learn. From my limited perspective I believe all early training must inevitably gravitate to this method as the tunnels proliferate. It is not the cheapest way of doing things but being able to get through all the A licence jumps within 10 days suggests that the efficiency of the process makes up for a lot of upfront cost.

The only issue I had was that while the tunnel is great fun and an incredibly efficient learning tool, Rob had to retrain me for full leg extension in things like tracking as the tunnel can encourage small incremental moves rather than full range.

Okay, so my landings leave a lot to be desired and I guess I am also now at that stage that I believe Ron described as where "you don't even know what you don't know". It is a start though....

Thanks Rob for the experience and setting such a high benchmark for quality training! I also want to say thanks to everyone at Deland for running such a great operation.

What should I do next....?

Best wishes, Tim
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

From my limited perspective I believe all early training must inevitably gravitate to this method as the tunnels proliferate. It is not the cheapest way of doing things but being able to get through all the A licence jumps within 10 days suggests that the efficiency of the process makes up for a lot of upfront cost.

It did great things for me too, but I think there are quite a few people out there that can make it through without. If you have good leg awareness, the issues on L3-5 are pretty minor. If your legs are dead rope blowing in the breeze (like me), the time spent in the tunnel is a good return on investment.

I have over an hour in the tunnel in Orlando. I'm just beginning to feel confident about signing up AFF. I have learned the basics of Mantis, but am still working on improving my leg inputs and my arch.

I have trouble seeing any other way to approach the sport.

Cheers,

Cyber

Whoops, is my ignorance showing again?

Very simple. JUMP! :P
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I have over an hour in the tunnel in Orlando. I'm just beginning to feel confident about signing up AFF. I have learned the basics of Mantis, but am still working on improving my leg inputs and my arch.

Honestly I think you've probably trained to a further degreee of skills that I have in my jumps (16 AFF/solo) and tunnel time, which focused mostly on the legs. AFF really is about the basic survival skills - falling stable, being able to turn and move forward, and to pull on time. Perris does one level that looks at fall rates, but most don't until the coached jumps. I did that well enough in the tunnel, poorly in the air. Much harder to tell what's going on when you only have the instructor as a reference point.

Your prep work puts you well beyond any AFF-1 student I ever met - time to go put that theory into practice! With the two instructors giving you that exit stability, you'll be feeling comfortable quickly. For me the turning point was the planned unstable exit and recovery - from then on I was no longer worried about where they were.

You can also opt for the tandem start if you want to feel how the plane exit differs from tunnel entrances, and of course the whole altitude bit.

>From my limited perspective I believe all early training must >inevitably gravitate to this method as the tunnels proliferate.

Well, OK, but . . .

> It is not the cheapest way of doing things but being able to get
> through all the A licence jumps within 10 days suggests that the
> efficiency of the process makes up for a lot of upfront cost.

Some people simply don't have the money. Heck, the static line program is still around partly for that reason. I'd hate to make this a sport of the rich.

kelpdiver
i agree with what you say about the fall rate adjustment difference between the tunnel and reality in the air. I found that my early fall rate adjustments were just too small and incremental - not positive enough - after being in the tunnel making such small moves. I guess there is no reason i could not have learnt to be more positive in the tunnel but i suppose it was because i could get away without.

On the subject of exits from the plane...and i hasten to add mine need work...the great benefit to me in the early stages of post-tunnel AFF was that I was confident i could get stable. For me at least that was the key to being relaxed and beginning to learn.

>From my limited perspective I believe all early training must >inevitably gravitate to this method as the tunnels proliferate.

Well, OK, but . . .

> It is not the cheapest way of doing things but being able to get
> through all the A licence jumps within 10 days suggests that the
> efficiency of the process makes up for a lot of upfront cost.

Some people simply don't have the money. Heck, the static line program is still around partly for that reason. I'd hate to make this a sport of the rich.

yeah, i know this costs too much money...
i just hope that there will be enough tunnels to make it possible for students to get at least a few minutes in the tunnel at a reasonable cost because..again from my very limited perspective..i was certainly a lot safer a student after the tunnel rather than giving the JMs a work out as I did the first time...