DerekHall

First jump - what a trip

Made my first jump on the 19th from Skydive Spaceland in Rosharon, Texas. 14,000 feet tandem out of an Otter, pulled at 5,500 feet. Okay, enough with the info and numbers...

It was awesome! I was worried that because I had a cold (still have, actually) I wouldn't be able to regulate the pressure, but it worked out fine, no problem (I know, I know, I could've been under extreme pain).

But man, what a deal. Looking forward to doing it again!

It's not just the pain. It's the potential for serious, possibly permanent damage to your ears.

Repeat after me: "I will not jump if I can't clear my sinuses." If you can do it with a non-drowsy medication (Sudafed, for example), great, but if you can't, don't risk a jump from any altitude.

All that said... congrats and welcome to skydiving. When are you signing up for a full First Jump Course? :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

NWFlyer - I know, the instructor asked me if I could clear my sinuses, and I could easily...otherwise I wouldn't have jumped.

And about the full course, I'm debating it right now. It isn't cheap, so I'm rehearsing on how to suggest it to my wife. I wouldn't think she'd have a problem - after all, this first jump was a birthday present from her, so it's her fault! ;)

It's not just the pain. It's the potential for serious, possibly permanent damage to your ears.

Repeat after me: "I will not jump if I can't clear my sinuses." If you can do it with a non-drowsy medication (Sudafed, for example), great, but if you can't, don't risk a jump from any altitude.

All that said... congrats and welcome to skydiving. When are you signing up for a full First Jump Course? :D

There will always be other days to jump...so be smart, jump healthy!:)
Glad you made your first jump at Spaceland, the best damned dropzone known to man.:P You'll figure out the economics if you want it bad enough.
Afterall, there ARE piggy banks to crack, aluminum cans to sell, roman noodles for breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc.

Look forward to seeing you soon at the DZ!!!!

is

Repeat after me: "I will not jump if I can't clear my sinuses."

I think you mean "equalize". In other words, pinch your nostrils and blow until your ears pop. If you can do that without pain, you should be OK.

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.