peregrinerose

Lessons learned/ AFF Concern

In that case you will not have full flight or full range of control movement which may not be apparent during flight at altitude and only become obvious during the flare. Give it some thought and see what you think.

Makes sense to me, I was stretching really hard to keep toggles from pulling, but there probably was some degree of tension there just from my arm posture.

From a flare stance there really wasn't a flare at all. I guessed when to flare, just as I started to, radio guy said 'wait', I waited. My ass hit ground at the same time he told me to flare. It was my own fault for not going with my instincts since I could see how high I was but was behind a hill from the radio coach's line of sight.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Is this a valid concern that I should bring up, or am I too sensitive to this? I'm fine with letting it go, it wasn't a major thing, but if I should bring it up, how do I do so tactfully?

Print your post, and bring it in & show it to Either JR or Kathy. Although you may be just a bit over sensitive about the radio portion, heck ...that is how you feel. If you share that with either JR or Kathy (the DZO's), they will either find ways to address it and work with it, and/or further re-assure you so it at least does not become a critical (to you) problem for you. If this is that much of an "issue" or a concern to YOU, remember if you keep that to yourelf, and you do not communicate it, you are not serving anybody any good that way!

JR has been around for many years in this sport and has seen/handled many thousands of students, and IMHO still does so with compassion, understanding, skill and tact (some DZO's do tend to lose that over time), so I'm sure if you approach him, and COMMUNICATE your observations/concerns before your next jump, it will be handled to your satisfaction. ...Or it won't, and of course you would then have your decisions to make there if they aren't too. But I'm willing to bet they WILL!

Give it a try & see how it works out. You seem to have a good, level head on your shoulders! ...Welcome to the sport, and never feel afraid or ashamed to COMMUNICATE! The issue about student rig sizing can be a challenge, and was also worthy of further discussion/consideration too. Thank you for sharing with us your points of view, and good luck with your student progression!

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone