adrenamix

Toggle Knotted on Riser

read a few previous threads on this item and got some valuable information, but wanted to share my own experience. this is my first (and hopefully not last) post..

jump #6 in AFF training

nerves were a bit high as it was my first solo exit, had a normal deployment at 4,500, reached up to grab toggles and right toggle was knotted onto the riser. At the time, I thought someone had tied it onto the riser lol (that's what it looked like...). it was tied at the full brake position.

Still unsure about this one... but I must have released both brakes (had pulled the left toggle down fully). I had a straight flying canopy, and I did trace the locked toggle to the brake line and yanked it a few times... not sure if this released the right brake or not.

Considered an attempt to untie the locked toggle, but didn't want to lose sight of the landing zone.

Quickly reached for the rear risers and found it easy to steer and did a few practice flares at 3K.

Landed with no issues on rear risers, did not need to PLF. but I was also flying a 230 student canopy, wing load was ~0.7. much more forgiving (?)

Did not realize the severity of the situation until got to the packing room... where I was debriefed by my instructor and packers. The unanswered question was why was I not in a directional spin.

It was a quick decision for me, 1) straight flying fully inflated canopy, 2) steerable. Did not cross my mind to cut-away.

AFF Stage 7 is up next.

Any comments / insights on this incident would be greatly appreciated! :)

adrenamix

Quickly reached for the rear risers and found it easy to steer and did a few practice flares at 3K.

Landed with no issues on rear risers, did not need to PLF. but I was also flying a 230 student canopy, wing load was ~0.7. much more forgiving (?)

It was a quick decision for me, 1) straight flying fully inflated canopy, 2) steerable. Did not cross my mind to cut-away.

AFF Stage 7 is up next.

Any comments / insights on this incident would be greatly appreciated! :)

Great job applying your training. Well done.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Did not realize the severity of the situation until got to the packing room... where I was debriefed by my instructor and packers. The unanswered question was why was I not in a directional spin

Did you unstow your other toggle? The only chop I've got to my name is because my rig got packed and the one toggle was stowed wrong and essentially knotted the tab in the cat eye. My canopy opened fine (slightly wonky and felt weird) but didn't spin me up hard until I tried to unstow the toggles and the right one came unstowed with the other one essentially stuck. I'm loaded 1:1 on a spectre 135.

ETA-- nevermind, I reread this and saw you unstowed. Not sure about this then....maybe you're so lightly loaded on huge square parachute? But even then I would imagine some kind of slow turn if one toggle was unstowed and not the other.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Did it not occur to cutaway because it passed "There, Square, Landable" or because you feel you just didnt consider it? It seems if you had the wherewithal to conduct a controllability check and determine you werent in a spin and practiced rear riser flares before your hard deck... uh... I guess I'd say it sounds like you considered it more than you're letting on and determined you did not need to. Sounds like you kept a cool head and followed your training. Maybe the internal discussion was subconscious. I cant speak as an experienced skydiver, but in terms of the psychological processes taking place I'd call your decisions "informed" at the least :)

I'm interested in hearing why there was not a spin as well, it seems intuitive to my uneducated mind that it would turn... Curious indeed.
You are not the contents of your wallet.