WhuffoNoMo

Should I have cut away?

The weather was getting pretty crappy today and as I was landing, (winds 3-5) I got a nice gust of 15 from 180° (as in wind direction change) which - in mid flare, held me above the ground, then dropped me. I partially plfed but got pulled backward anyway and was dragged a good 15 meters on my back. Many people told me there wasn't really anything I could have done to prevent the landing but a few people suggested I should have pulled my rsl and cut away. This just seemed and still seems a bit overkill for I didn't really run the risk of getting pulled into anything dangerous - no cars or planes or anything - just in a field. I also let go of one toggle and just kept reeling in the other. Any suggestions/hints/responses? Thanks! :S OH! and any suggestions on getting grass stains out of a container? The green doesn't really match.

Eric

use your judgement, ive seen people dragged a short distance and tweak or break an ankle on a gopher hole, but if you think you can get yourself under control without hurting yourself or others or damaging stuff then try and get your canopy and self under control. Yank on a toggle and hold it usually works pretty well. It isnt a bad thing to cut it if you are already hurt or cant control the canopy and your body as long as you disconnect the RSL otherwise youll have another canopy that you cant chop. It isnt difficult at all to reattach a main to a container. Looks like you did the right thing in your procedures, but dont be afraid to chop it if itll reduce injury/damage.

Woolite works for stains

clear skies
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

I feel if you didn't see the wind coming, then disconnecting your RSL while being drug would be tricky.

I had one jump where it was clear at 1,000 feet (and again, 90 seconds later, also at 1,000 feet) that I was looking at some seriously not-good wind near the ground. About 10 seconds before I touched down I thought ahead to cutting away to avoid being drug and I remembered to disconnect my RSL, and the cutaway-on-touchdown worked perfectly. No dragging, no grass stains, just lots of people asking "why did you cut away? Were you getting dragged?" So then I had to repeatedly explain I cut away _before_ being dragged. It was just as annoying as explaining grass stains, but untangling the risers is quicker than cleaning the rig. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.