AKCrash

Tough luck

I am more than willing to go the extra mile to lose weight in order to be fit for skydiving. Before I started skydiving, and in order to meet the weight limit. I stopped eating for 16 days. I had absolutely nothing to eat. I drank water, orange juice, and carrot juice. In addition, I ran around half an hour daily (at rate of 4.0 mi/hr, yeah I can’t run any faster). After the 16 days, I lost 30 pounds which made me fit the maximum limit for solo skydive at Z Hills.

I don't want to derail this into a "weight loss strategies" thread because that could take this thread way too far off onto a tangent (please feel free to PM me if you want to talk more, though), but reading this really concerned me.

Please also take some time during your down time to look into more sustainable ways to manage your weight. As someone who shares your struggles with weight (loss and gain) I can tell you right now that if that's your weight loss strategy, you're going to continue to struggle if that's how you take it off.

I'm working right now with a doctor and a nutritionist (both of whom specialize in exercise, food issues, and nutrition) and I think that (after 37 years) I've found a sustainable approach. I'd encourage you to look into something similar. Crash dieting just so you can get under the weight limit is only going to mean that you're going to be gaining weight again.

The sky's gonna be there for a good long time, and I'm glad you took Jim's advice to heart. One more thing that I've heard (and told a couple of folks myself even though I'm still pretty much a newbie, too .... "just because your license says you can, doesn't mean you have to." Same goes for those special opportunity jumps - the vast majority of them will come around again, and for those that require a higher level of skill, it might make sense to wait. I still haven't done a night jump because I don't feel ready - I know my canopy skills can still use some work. I've been eligible to do one for well over two years.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks for the offer, I will def PM you sometime soon.

In regard to the night jump, I do realize that I have attempted a jump that required skilsl that are much higher than my level. I guess I learned that the hard way:)), I will jump every night jump I could possibly do. Beside the bad landing, it was a very unique experience for me.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" Franklin