gravityBad

Questions to ask prospective DZ for AFF instuct

I'm entertaining the thought of getting my 'A' license...actually, i've entertained the thought for over a decade and now I'm ready to take the plunge!

I have a small list of questions I plan to ask when calling for information at a few DZ's in an attempt to decide which would better suite me. Not being introduced to the sport (other than a single tandem jump in '96), I'm sure there are numourous questions I haven't thought of that may prove beneficial before selecting a site. I'm sure they all have qualities worthy of attending their jump course, but I'm looking for the one that seems to have an edge.

I'm asking what type of questions would you suggest to help differentiate the the DZ's. I'm interested in an AFF course and getting through a program ASAP. I know one of the Houston based operations has a 'License in a week package' which sounds great.

One other thing...I'm not trying to pit one DZ against the another, but rather trying to arm myself with a reasonably intelligent conversation without hanging up the phone only to later realize I want/need further info.

Thanks,
Joe

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I think you should take your time and go and visit the dz you are thinking of doing aff at. talk to the people and the current students. get a feel for the place. i would take careful notice of how big the plane is and how many jumps people are doing in a day. i spent 3 months sitting on my ass during aff cause i picked a dz with a small plane. cheers

I wrote a book that covers that very topic, and it even includes the questions you should ask. It is called JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy , but was recently taken out of print by McGraw-Hill. It may still be available from The Skydiving Book Service, and is available from Amazon and several other outlets as an e-book. I'll be happy to send you the chapter that has the questions, but it won't fit as an upload here. Send me an IM or email (check my profile) and I'll get that to you.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Show up at the different DZs and feel the vibe.... finding the 'right' DZ for you is like finding the 'right' spouse, it's just got to be a good fit. As an instructor, personally I'm infinitely happier at a smaller cessna DZ than a big one because I have more time to spend with students, the other jumpers are much closer friends even outside the DZ setting, and I feel safer there knowing that as an instructor, I have far more control over the safety atmosphere at a small DZ than a large one. But that's just what I look for in a place to work/play, what you look for might be different. And some things you can only tell to show up, introduce yourself as a potential student, and see what happens. :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Well, I'll take a stab at this. Let me add this disclaimer. I work at the Houston area DZ that has the "A-license in a week offer"

Here's another thread where I discussed a little about why I think our program is exceptional.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3520898#3520898

As for questions to ask. In no particular order....

What is availability of AFF instructors? How many available on any given day?

How many jumps is your program designed for?

Do you offer video for every student jump? Is there any additional cost for video?

Do you have a course syllabus and study material provided to the student?

How many aircraft do you operate on any given day?

Do you offer a pckage deal? (We have 3 different package deals; 2-jump packages, STP or 18 jump package, and A-license or 25 jump package)(you obviously have already looked into this but leads to the next question)

Are there any additional costs?
I say this because our A-license in a week program and STP package program assume you have met the tandem requirements. We require two tandems before entering the solo student course. You may not have realized that. If you're interested in more details or how to minimize cost on that, PM me, I'll be glad to let you know. There may be an additional charge if you choose a packing class. Our program packages do include the ground course though. Some places have additional charges for that.

How many student rigs do you have available for student use?

These are some of the questions that I can think of. I definitely echo those that said to visit the DZs and check them out for yourself. I'm trying to be as objective as I can, but I clearly think that our DZ has an excellent student program. Other DZs do as well. There are different vibes. See for yourself.

Keep in mind that completing the student program quickly relies upon a lot of factors. We cannot do anything about the weather. Virtually every student has been frustrated by weather conditions at some point. Instructors would love to jump too, but we just can't do anything about that.

Also, you have to be committed to be able to complete the program in a week. You can't show up at the DZ at 2 p.m. and expect an instructor to be waiting on you. Early is better or at least let the DZ know when you're going to show up. Sometimes that means you have to wait until fog lifts or a load gets together or clouds pass or wind dies.....you get the picture......spend that time learning to pack if you can. It takes a commitment to progress as quickly as you are thinking.

Every student is different and progresses at their individual rate. I am a firm believer that there is such a thing as too many student jumps in a day. Bodies that aren't used to skydiving tire and get sore from using muscles they aren't used to using. Tired/sore bodies and minds many times don't perform as well as they could. Pace yourself. Stay alert and feeling good physically. You will perform and learn better. I personally think 3-4 student jumps a day is pretty aggressive but doable. (depending on the student)

Sometimes students need to repeat a skydive or skill. Again, it depends on the individual's performance. You shouldn't be satisfied with "getting by" and not completing a skydive satisfactorily either. It is your life and safety that the training is meant to save.

I am intricately familiar with my DZs student training program. I'm trying not to "advertise" here, but I'd be glad to answer any specific questions you may have.

Ok, I've rambled on long enough. Here's not only some questions to ask, but things to consider. I hope this helps. Again, I'd be glad to answer any direct questions about our program.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.