tombuch

News Story: Jump For The Cure

...just a story from the Brattleboro (Vermont) Reformer about a women making a jump to raise money to fight cancer... The original is at http://www.reformer.com/localnews/ci_12535397

Taking the leap
Local woman skydiving to raise awareness for Relay for Life
By JAIME CONE, Reformer Staff

Saturday, June 6
BRATTLEBORO - After watching her father-inlaw die after a battle with cancer three years ago, Patti Dandrea decided the least she could do to help fight the disease was face her own fear of heights.

She's not sure if it will cure her fear or not, but on June 20, Dandrea will jump out of a plane and freefall for 50 seconds to raise awareness for the Relay for Life.

Dandrea and two friends will "jump for the cure" and land at the airport in Orange, Mass.

To raise money, they will sporting T-shirts with the business cards of each donating business. Fifty dollars will get you a card on Dandrea's shirt, and for $100 you can get the advertising on all three of the women's shirts.

"I've always been involved in the relay, but we've upped our effort more in recent years," she said.

Relay For Life is the American Cancer Society's signature activity and takes place all over the country.

In Windham County, participants will form various teams and meet at the Brattleboro Union High School where the teammates will take turns walking around the track. It will take place June 26 and 27.

Dandrea said that she always thought Relay for Life was for a good cause, but her own life hadn't been affected by cancer until her father-in-law fell ill. Since his death, more and more of her friends and family have been diagnosed with the disease.

Now she feels inspired to come up with exciting ways to raise money to
Advertisement
fight cancer. Especially in these tough economic times, it's difficult to catch peoples' attention and persuade them to give, she said.

"There are so many causes out there, and they all mean something to someone," she said. "We wanted to come up with the most unique way to raise funds."

She said her husband bought her the skydiving ticket as an anniversary present last month.

When she realized she had better not back out or her husband would be out hundreds of dollars, she decided to do something that would hold her accountable - she contacted area businesses and asked them to sponsor her jump with all the proceeds going toward the Relay for Life.

So far, West Brattleboro Pizza, Goodenough Rubbish, Cozy Home Performance, Gordon's Auto, Brown and Roberts, Leader Home Center, AJM Bus Service, and Dandrea's Painting have made a donation in exchange for a spot on Dandrea's T-shirts.

She said private donations are welcome as well, and she is hoping to get all the donations in soon so that she has enough time to get the shirts printed.

"Since my father-in-law died, it's added impetus to get it done," she said.

She is planning to have the jump filmed and may play the video at the opening of the relay. She said it might provide some comic relief for those who are gathered at the track, preparing to walk or run.

"It might just be me screaming the whole way down," she laughed.

The jump will take place at 15,000 feet.

After free-falling for 50 seconds, the parachute will open and she will have a five-minute ride to the ground.

"By the end it will have been at the most two months leading up to it of worrying and being nervous," she said. "If that was all I had as a cancer victim, I would be very lucky."

"My friends and family members who are cancer survivors are my heroes," she added. "These people are so brave - for the most part - they just go about their lives, but they have to put up with the disease every stinking day."

Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy