drewcarp

Skydive Chicago

I was thinking of going out to SDC and doing some AFP jumps in late October. (I have 5 jumps total, 4 AFF last summer) From what I've read SDC is one of the best places to learn how to skydive so I figured I'd make a little vacation out of it but had a few questions.

1. Are there any SDC AFP instructors on here that wouldn't mind answering a few quick questions that could PM me?

2. Does anybody know a cheap way to get from O'Hare to SDC? Is there a bus or something similar that regularly gets close? Boxcar to hop?=) Figure car rental or taxi would cost a ton.

Would it be weird to go out there alone? Is it common for people to do that for training? I can't find any friends that both have the money and desire to skydive. I don't really mind but might feel kinda weird camping for 4 nights by myself, anyone here done that before?

Thanks a ton in advance and if anyone has done the AFP at SDC and would like to share their story I would love to read it!

Thanks!

Post on the SkydiveChicago.com Forums, there are afp instructors that watch that forum more than this I believe.

I did AFP and loved it. Going out there alone is fine, maybe even better depending. I don't know about transportation, it's pretty far away from O'hare.

Did my AFP at SDC some 11 years ago. Great place to go, and I did by myself, didn't know anyone else there.

Getting there from O'hare without a car would be a challenge. Could take blue-line CTA train to Clinton station, then it's a couple blocks to Greyhound station. Not sure if Greyhound goes to Ottawa or not from there. Metra trains only run out to Joliet I think, and I don't believe Amtrak stops in Ottawa, though there was talk of that in years past.

Other than renting a car, you could still take Blue-Line downtown Chicago, then "borrow" a boat, take Chicago River to Illinois river, to downtown Ottawa, then hang a right at the Fox river, go upstream to the dam and you're there. Walk up the hill 1/4 mile, and you're at SDC.

If you are looking for a ride to SDC you should go to their website, register as a user, and then post on their forums (around the bonfire section)that you are looking for a ride. Someone from the suburbs is always heading out there, especially if the weather is good. Just figure to compensate them for their gas and such.

You can post questions to the instructors there as well.

I finished my AFP there this summer. I came into it having a passing aquaintance with a couple of jumpers, and I got scooped up by a ton of great people. We have had a few students from out of state, who came for training not knowing a soul, and they always found someone to chat with at the Tiki after hours.

Come out and jump with us!

Meredith.
"I love when humans fly,"