Mockingbird

I flunked AFF Level 2 jump... Has this happened to others?

there fun, different , but so much more fun. I swear even when I screw up (so far Ive done something wrong every jump, nothing major except the lose of AA and dumping at twice the altitude and freezing my butt off on the way down) they just get more and more exciting. I also got off radio on jump 10. Have 6 stand up landings and 1 face plant, took a knee on 2 , 3 butt slides and one attempted PLF (that was on purpose for A card, didnt happen, PLF is definitly easier off the couch) GET IN THE air, find a NEW DZ, mines 3 hours away and WELL worth the drive.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

My radio wasn't working right on my last two jumps, so I got to do two landings already without assistance. It was fantastic. I was proud of myself :D and REALLY surprised. Of course, my instructor had gone over the landing pattern with me before we went up, but still I was able to control my flight so that I was over the right spot at the right altitude. [God is good.:$]

As for PLFs, all of my landings have been plf's *or a version thereof*... except one. On that one I did a stand up, then forgot to drop a toggle, so you know what happened...
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

I am putting so much AFF money on my credit card; it's gonna' take forever to pay it off! But seeing as how I'm so much older than most people starting out in skydiving, I don't feel like I have time to save up the actual moola. I bet there are others in the same fix.

Girl... this is the reason why it is NOT a coincidence that I am at the DZ on a payday weekend!! Being in AFF is just like paying a utility bill at this point for me. I get paid twice a month, so, I am at the DZ twice a month!!! B| Trust me... now I really love and appreciate my job that enables me to fund this expensive hobby. :$ ;) By the way, the days that you have mentioned that you were at SDSM, I was there too. You started AFF while I was still doing my tandems (did 3 w/ the same TI). Hope to meet you one of these days. If you see a short, long-haired, Philippine girlie out there (not to mention probably a wee bit antsy) ... that would be me.:ph34r:

By the way, the days that you have mentioned that you were at SDSM, I was there too. You started AFF while I was still doing my tandems (did 3 w/ the same TI). Hope to meet you one of these days. If you see a short, long-haired, Philippine girlie out there (not to mention probably a wee bit antsy) ... that would be me.:ph34r:

Hey, I'm a tall, short-haired girlie (yes, at 50 I still consider myself a "girl"!!!!!) who's antsy before a jump too---- we're practically twins! ;)

I just did my AFF 2 jump last weekend. I passed, but I also kind of lost altitude awareness for a sec. At 6k I quit doing maneuvers, at 5500 waved, then following the "ARCH, REACH, PULL" I arched.................................................................................then kind of came to when my instructor stuck his finger in front of my face and completely lost my arch in my haste to pull. Bleh...:S

But even though I know I screwed up, I'll learn from it. It also helped that another AFF 2 student that day pulled at like 13,500 after getting the arch signal, you know, the thumb down...he thought it was the pull signal. :D

Makes you realize we are just human, this is brand new for us, and its not natural and has to be worked at.

Hi, Joe! Congratulations on passing your first jump--- sounds like you did a HECKUVALOT better than I did! Isn't it a blast? I love it; but I sure wish I could get past Level 4 (I've done it three times) so I can try something new. It's been three weeks :( since I even tried. Maybe tomorrow will be my day...

Well, here's the update you asked for.

:$:(:S>:([:/] Do those smilies get the message across? Yep, I will have to repeat Level 4 for a fifth time next weekend!!

The good points about today's jump: 1) It was videotaped, 2) I pulled on time, 3) I landed a few yards from the target, and 4) I wasn't hurt. The video showed that the reason I keep turning to the left is that I'm holding my elbows and forearms too high & asymmetrical, and my head is down instead of up. It also showed that my legs are asymmetrical at different points in the skydive. So I have a lot to work on this week. My instructor wrote in my logbook:

"Good exit and body position [he meant good body position on exit!]. Good altitude awareness throughout the skydive. Work on 1) keeping head up looking at horizon, 2) keeping forearms level 3) keeping legs evenly pushing on the air. Don't beat yourself up."

So I'm gonna' work on my attitude this week as well, and not dwell on the negative but on what I need to do next time.

Thanks everyone for thinking of me and caring about how I do. I hope all the other students out there had good jumps this weekend!:)

tunnel...........TUNNEL come on girl come down here we will go do some time then head to titusville and you can jump with the best instructors around.

I am not sure if this is right but I have the feeling that you are being overly cricital and that you are trying so hard to pass that you are forgetting that skydiving is fun. Keep at it, smile on the way out the door and just have fun, smile,

I am definitely trying very hard to pass--- I don't know how to try the right amount; I always try too hard. However, I'm not forgetting that skydiving is fun. Yes, I too think the tunnel would help a LOT. In the meantime, the video was a big help, and my dz owner was really sweet to not charge me for it (she said she would cover it). That was encouraging. But yes, I want to get to Florida and go with you to the tunnel. I'm not counting out that possibility just yet...

I had a similar problem, even though I graduated one jump early I was the student who would start calling 4 days before a planned jump with questions, then 3 days before with more questions, then when the day would come I would practice and practice and practice, my instructor couldnt leave me alone lol. Then debrief time I would debrief him on everything from altitudes of manuvers, emotions, what I was thinking etc etc, my talking during the debriefs were longer then his. One day he explained this to me. "You are trying to hard to be perfect, you will one day have 5000 jumps and still not be perfect, slow is fast, you have the basic skills to survive and the desire to progress, stop beating yourself up, there is no fail when you walk away from a skydive" Then he taught me things that seem simple like... smile on exit, toes taps (help keep your legs in proper position, and just relax. You will get there.

I am glad your dz did that video thing, titusville will be filming a landing or two of mine to help me with debriefing those a bit more. Trust yourself, trust your instructors and trust in your gear. YOU WILL GET THERE.