emmett751

Importance of tracking

I felt the need to post this little incident me and some friends had this weekend while jumping. Situation: Sunset load, 3 way horney gorillia into 3 way sit. After we split from the gorillia one of our guys mistakenly bellied out and got way above us, he did the proper thing and stayed close to the skydive and then tracked accordingly when it was time. BUT im not sure if he didnt see me or what happened but after my canopy opened he went screaming by me at terminal about 30ft infront of me. We are super lucky nothing happened but i just felt the need to post this close call to remind everyone to keep aware in the air, maintain vigilant situational awareness. Ok thanks for reading, Blue Skies.

Yikes. Hit breakoff and track like... something that tracks a lot! Check.

I was in a 7 way yesterday and ended up lower than everyone else. When I go belly down, I fall like a bat out of hell. I tracked off at the break-off altitude AND waited to 3K to pull. Barely made it back to the landing zone, but at least I got well clear of the group. I'd rather land out than endanger anyone else with my newbieness!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Being good at tracking can save your life.
Tracking into the next group out can kill you.

A really good tracker can get somewhere near a 45 degree glide angle. Tracking for 1000ft altitude means a good tracker can be heading towards 1000ft horizontal distance. And a decent minimum exit separation is generally considered to be how much? Yup, 1000ft.

I advocate keeping an eye on the others in your group and tracking in a clear direction, not just blindly turning 180 and trusting the afterburners to get you out of one pile of shit and into the next.