pchapman

When does the 'beer light' come on?

I've jumped at dropzones with both sets of rules and they both work ...as long as there is a clear understanding by all parties. The rules shouldn't change on the whim of the DZO. I don't quite see the "liability" issue as long as everyone is on, and stays on, the ground. The Laws covering DUI and the "liabilities" for letting someone drive while impaired is a different issue. If you are providing the alcoholic drinks and they are impaired while driving afterwards you ARE liable. How this covers "free beer" is anyone's guess.

Tandem students don't usually seem to hang around for the last load. There's no reason you can't educate them on alcohol protocol if someone says something. My personal inclination would be to instruct them on the rules and FAA regulations regarding alcohol and pilots while offering them a beer. I prefer to adhere to the same rules (No alcohol for at least 8 hours before skydiving,) especially since we go to a higher altitude without oxygen here than most places do.

I wouldn't mess with tandem students about that, but I am trying to recruit a couple of skydiving buddies to put on little plays on the way to altitude. I want to do this one when it gets warm enough to start opening the door at 2000 feet, or after a hop and pop leaves, before closing the door. Some time when we're on our way to altitude without opening the door, I want to have this conversation with another guy in my group.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

I wouldn't mess with tandem students about that, but I am trying to recruit a couple of skydiving buddies to put on little plays on the way to altitude. I want to do this one when it gets warm enough to start opening the door at 2000 feet, or after a hop and pop leaves, before closing the door.

Is there a 'messing with tandem students' thread? Must be somewhere...
(I've bought and emptied one of those little plastic hip flasks of vodka. Could be handy for a drink of water while in the airplane...)

pchapman

Is there a 'messing with tandem students' thread? Must be somewhere...
(I've bought and emptied one of those little plastic hip flasks of vodka. Could be handy for a drink of water while in the airplane...)

Drinking out of a hip flask when they're looking. You're on the plane for 15 minutes, get a drink beforehand!

I was pretty thirsty on the plane the other day but couldn't tell if the pilot's bottle had a soft drink or pee in it. I wasn't going to ask for a sip either way.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

At my home dropzone the beer light (normally) comes on after the last load has landed. Although the DZO doesn't mind us starting early, as long as the last load is in the air. So, both I guess. Although I did vote for it being the DZO's decision because ultimately, it is.
"My time is limited, what I can do with that time is not" - Jeb Corliss