1 1
dmathews1960

USPA Special Election

Hi Everyone:  The USPA special election for National Director runs the entire month of June.  I am running, and have been trying to get the word out.  I am troubled by the fact that only about 6% of the membership voted in the regular election last time.  I am also troubled by the fact that this special election isn't even mentioned (as far as I can see) in the June Parachutist magazine that just arrived yesterday.  I'm attaching a picture that briefly shows my qualifications and what I hope to accomplish.  For more info on either of these topics, you can check out my website Mathewsadventureservices.com or email me at [email protected].  Thanks for your time.  I would really appreciate your vote.    David M. Mathews, Ph.D.

David Mathews for USPA BOD.jpeg

Half way down…Half way back

We are about half-way through the June Special Election for the USPA National Director vacancy.  Based on recent history, more than 90% of USPA members HAVE NOT yet voted, and WILL NOT vote in this election, leaving the decision up to a very small group of voters.

I understand why most people don’t vote in these elections.  Most fun jumpers just want to jump, hang out with their friends, and not be bothered by political BS.  Besides, in the absence of information, it’s easy to believe that it really won’t make a difference who is elected.  Most fun jumpers have just resigned themselves to the need to pay for a membership in order to jump, but don’t expect much more than that.

I love skydiving, I love the skydiving community, and I like the USPA.  The USPA is a great resource for safety information and promoting safe skydiving and is a very good organization for producing and certifying instructors.  We have a great collection of outstanding skydivers on the current Board of Directors, and on the USPA staff.

But, in my opinion, there are some serious issues that need to be addressed to make the organization serve the members as well as it could.  Based on the feedback that I have received since announcing my candidacy in mid-April, LOTS of people agree with most of these proposed changes.   However, not everyone does…. I have also received some serious pushback.   It is my belief that if I am not elected, the changes that I have proposed will not take place. 

If you have not yet voted, or if you are aware that your friends have not voted, I ask you to look at the issues that I have raised and see if you agree with me.  You may even want to watch the Casual Chat interview that Brian Germain did with me (link provided in this thread) where I flesh out these issues, or check out the document that I put on my website:  Mathewsadventureservices.com.  If you support these changes, I am asking that you PLEASE VOTE.

Thanks for your time. 

David Mathews for USPA BOD.jpeg