steve1

Long range shooting?

This won't work well in some rifles. Some rifles have a really long throat and a short box magazine. If you loaded your bullets out to almost touch the lands the rounds would be too long to fit in your box magazine.

Remington 700's have a fairly long throat. The rifling is out there quite a distance in your chamber. All my Remington's also have a longer box magazine, so they will still fit. I have one Winchester model 70 with a somewhat shorter throat. The magazine is still long enough to accept longer bullets.

I also have a Savage 99. It has a very short rotary magazine. It will not accept longer bullets. I could shoot it single shot for accuracy, but that is not practical for hunting.

One word of caution.....If you load a bullet too long it will not chamber and it could increase chamber pressures drastically if it is too tight. You don't want the bullet to touch the rifling lands. You want it just short of that. I use a magic marker to test this out on my seating depth. I mark the bullets with the marker, then chamber a round.....if I can see the rifling marks the bullet is too long.

If you don't seat your bullets out, if you have a long gap before the bullet engages the rifling, the pressure is not as consistent to push the bullet out the barrel. In other words the bullet will jump for a fraction of an inch before the bullet engages the rifling and barrel some gas will jump ahead of the bullet......Maybe someone else can explain this better. It is a huge accuracy trick to seat your bullets longer.

But be careful with this. I loaded up a bunch of ammo with bullets that were too long. I drove out to go hunting, and couldn't close the bolt. Luckily I found some bullets that were loaded shorter.

More on this later. I have more stories to tell.....

I got that new scope last night. It's a 30 mm scope. It's definitely fatter than the standard one inch tube.

I have one worry about this scope. It has the heavy duplex reticle with the fine lines in the center with stadia lines. This is the XLR Vortex reticle. First focul plane. I'm worried that the fine center lines will be hard to see in low light. I wish now that I had ordered the illuminated reticle too. Maybe that is what happens when you order something too hastily.