Zipp0

Freed Gitmo Terrorist David Hicks

> . . . by throwing out a red herring....Good on you!

Dorbie did a good job of getting lots of angry rhetoric into a short post, but I'm afraid your attempt came up a bit short with your overuse of "red herring" (which, of course, is also quite ironic in your case.)

There was nothing angry about it, there's a lot of misrepresentation in your posts to this thread and you're still dodging, you're still ignoring your ridiculous logical fallacy, and now your simply resorting to ad hominem when this is pointed out.

You didn't answer the question.

In my opinion, politics is the reason. Bush is putting politics before security and justice. The only other possible explanation is that it is thought that David Hicks poses little to no threat, which makes one wonder - what was he held in the first place?

Politics is the reason alright. John Howard is up for an election this year and the Australian community at large is getting a bit antsy about how little JH and our govt. had done for Hicks. The upsot of Hicks being given a short term - after 5 years imprisonment without a trial - is that JH can say the "we" (govt.) got Hicks back home and he (Hicks) is gagged until well after the election. Howard has managed to take the heat out of what was becoming a real election issue.

Ooroo
Mark F...

Very few aussies are going to repudiate that Hicks/Mahummed Dashwood /whatever else he want to call himself, is nothing short of a dropkick who was rejected by the Australian army for not meeting minimum education levels and went off to fight for the KLA and the Taliban.

But we were starting to get a little pissed off at an Australian being held for five years without trial in a system not considered good enough for US or UK citizens to be subjected to.

Edited to add:A rather interesting tangent in today's paper-
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/it-seems-hm-is-not-amused-by-guantanamo-bay/2007/04/06/1175366474409.html
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."