CMiller

Lineover after opening?

I had a very curious malfunction yesterday, yet nobody could explain how it occured. I deployed my canopy at 3K, it opened perfectly, and looked good. It controled and flared fine. However, after pulling down the slider, it began left turn. Looking up, I now had a lineover on the left side of my canopy. It was landable, thankfully.

The question is, I don't really understand how I could develop a lineover after deploying fine. I did nothing radical, simply pulled down the slider. It wasn't simply collapsed end cells since lines were clearly wrapped around the fabric.

How can this happen?

hmmmm. where was the line and fabric 'complication'.....near the tail of the canopy or near the nose???

was it a steering line or a suspension line?

curious indeed...:o..[:/]
what size main???? your own gear ?? or rental gear???
who did the pack job???

could the problem have been there right from the beginning,,, but hidden from your sight by the slider??.. when it was up near the connector links/ slinks??
and it only just became 'visible' to you after pulling the slider down past the links???

Not real sure of how "pulling the slider down"
actually works... In all my time. I have only used a split slider and a collapsable slider....
glad you're OK...
and Glad to know that while I was looking up at a beautiful blue sky around these parts, as assuming someone WAS jumping in the area, glad to know you were among that group
.... tough call on that sort of a 'mal '.....
they can deteriorate suddenly and sometimes below your own personal hard deck...
i'm happy to know you landed safely cody.....:|
jmy t

Thanks Jimmy.

I had to pull the slider down, since it did not come down all the way.

Canopy was a Falcon 175 F-111, and I did not pack it. It looked like the problem was with suspention lines near the tail.

I really don't think that I missed the problem to begin with, because I was able to see the entire cannopy and it controlled and flared fine. Which is why it was so odd…