parachutist

Custom Bobbin Trays

I've used various things to hold bobbins such as store-bought trays or rubber donut style, or pipe insulation sliced in half. But these days 3D Printing allows exact fits, so I built my own bobbin trays and the design is open to anyone who would like to use it.

Driven by variables, you can change the diameter and depth dimensions to suit any bobbin. And you can change the size of the tray: like 3x10 for 30 bobbins or 2x6 to hold 12, or anything within reason. This link is to the CAD model at OnShape.com. If you agree to the CC license that is displayed, just click on the "Trays" tab at the bottom of the screen to access the model. You can create an account for free and copy the file to your account, then adjust to your liking. The only gripe I've heard about the free accounts was a possible phone call from a salesperson, so be aware of that before punching in your digits.

[inline tray.jpg]

Legend for the variables:
#Width_number = The tray will be this many bobbins wide
#Length_number = The tray will be this many bobbins long
#Bobbin_Diameter = outside diameter of the bobbin
#Bobbin_Depth = width of bobbin end to end
#PlusDiameter = extra space allowed between the bobbin and the curved walls
#PlusDepth = extra space allowed between the vertical walls. More depth makes it easier to grab a bobbin. Recommended values are .5 - 2.5 depending on how big your fingers are
#ShellThick = Determines how thick the walls are after the model gets hollowed out. It should be a multiple of your nozzle size. If you want a stronger part, you can increase this, but printing time goes up.
#WallThick = how thick the vertical separating walls between the bobbins will be. Whatever amount you add here will be doubled because the linear pattern stacks bobbin sockets end to end. 2.0 has worked well for me.

[inline printedsamplesb.jpg]

Or if you'd like to print a version of this design that needs no account or adjustments, here are a few pre-made trays in STL format. All of these are 3x8 configurations, except for the 733R version.

for Bernina 217 bobbins

for Consew 146RB, 199RB, or 206RB

for Consew 339RB

for Consew 733R

for Juki DDL-8700 and similar

for Juki LK-1900AHS

for Juki LU-2810

Print settings I used in Simplify3D slicing software:

.4 mm nozzle
.4 mm extrusion width
.15 mm layer height
5 top solid layers