pchapman

Mirage main pilot chute - reinforcement tape direction?

Can someone confirm that it is normal for the Mirage main pilot chute to have the reinforcement tapes sewn "along the grid" of the mesh, rather than "along the 45 degrees"?

That's what I saw on a brand new one from them.

I did email Mirage but the email bounced, after which I used their web form, but haven't heard back in a couple weeks.

I just thought it unusual as it is more normal to sew tapes on the 45 to reduce distortion of the stretchy mesh. FWIW, Bill Booth has long agreed with that, and I normally only see tapes along-the-grid on ancient pilot chutes from the early '90s or before, when not everyone cared about that design detail.

This is what Booth has to say about it.

.) Now look how your support tapes are sewn to the mesh. If they are sewn "on the bias" your pilot chute is properly constructed. If they are not sewn on the bias it means that the mesh halfway between each support tape IS on the bias and will stretch more than enough to allow the skirt to get way "below" the apex. Try it. It's like a round parachute with several different line lengths. It simply doesn't work very well. This extremely common construction error might not let your pilot chute fully inflate, or in extreme cases, inflate at all. If your pilot chute is "borderline" when it is new, then things will get worse and worse as it ages.

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Every time I read that statement I said HUH, that doesn't make sense... until I realized that I was mis-reading the term bias to be warp or weft.

To go back to the OP I have not noticed any mirage PC's that were not sewed on the bias and I usually compare one I've made with the original before sewing it on.

-Michael

Sorry, we're having problems with our website. We have a new one being built.

The reinforcement tape should be on the diagonal (45). If you have one that isn't please contact our front office at 386-740-9222.

Thanks!
The Mirage Team

FYI - We also have fully updated our G4 manual. We're trying to upload it to our website to be available for download. Our website is giving us problems with that too. Gott'a love technology...