rokob

UPT Rig Sizing Chart

I have a Vector V354 and I was looking at http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/CHART_00037___Rig_Sizing_Chart.pdf as a guide for what canopies could fit in it (see page 8).

The part that confuses me is comparing the V353 to the V354. The Standard and Full fitting examples for the two containers are basically identical except for the reserve sizes where it looks like the V354 is a bit smaller than the V353. However, for the Loose fitting examples, the V353 lists no reserves and the V354 lists no mains.

My real query is whether I can safely put a Storm 170 into a V354. It shows it would be loose fitting in the V353, but I am left wondering about the V354. I understand the big issue with too loose of a fit is improper pin tension. Can someone elaborate how the extra 1" in Length but 3/4" less of thickness equates to no loose fitting mains? Should I just borrow a 170, put it in, and see how tight/loose the pin is? Is there a good way to test that other than getting a rigger to look at it and trust their judgement?

I asked a rigger vaguely about this and he said it is possible to sew in a small "pillow" to get the smaller size main to fit more snugly if a new container is completely out of the question for some reason. I would rather not go that route if possible.