aberk79

Person with Cerebral Palsy wants to fly the friendly skies

Hello,

I am living in the L.A. area and would like to do a tandem jump. I am also a person with a disability who has no functional use of my hands, but I can bare weight on my legs. I use an electric wheelchair, but someone will be able to carry me onto the plane and meet me at the landing site. I am in good health and weigh about 170 pounds.

I am looking for a sky diving instructor who will work with me to make sure that I have a safe and adventurous jump. I understand that there are logistical details to work out, but I've pulled off plenty of other adventures, such as motor cross and running a marathon.

The biggest challenges are face will be keeping my legs back during the drop and then kicking them forward on landing. My disability causes random movements, but I can control these with the proper positioning and straps. I am also open to designing equipment that will help me perform these tasks.

Anyone interested should email aberk at cal.berkeley.edu. Replace the "at" with an @ and put the whole address together to send me a message. Sky diving has been a dream of mine for a long time and I hope to find the person who can help me make it happen.

It can be done. There are tandem masters who have taken people like you on a jump. All that needs to be done is evaluate your mobility and set you up accordingly.

I am sure Skydive Perris is fully capable of helping you. Give them a call, or someone who jumps there can check for you.

Good luck!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Contact Jim Wallace. He has a separate skydiving shool at the Perris Dropzone. You can find lots of information on line. His number is 951-657-9975. He has helped many disabled first time jumpers make their dreams a reality.