packerboy

Hemophilia

Any other Hemophiliac skydivers out there?

Is that the affliction where if you bang yourself on something and get a bruise, or accidentally cut yourself, you can't stop the bleeding without a blood-clotting shot?

I can't imagine anybody with hemophilia in the sport. We get bruises every now and then on brisk openings from the MLW on the shoulders or leg straps on the inside of the thighs...

Are you hemophiliac? If so, how do you handle it?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well, in a nutshell thats what it is. There are varying levels of hemophilia. Serious hemophiliacs have spontaneous bleeds and must "top up" their missing factor level daily in order to not bleed out or cause serious injury to joints/muscles/organs.. etc.

I on the other hand am relatively mild. To the point where normal bumps bruises scrapes and cuts aren't a major problem. If get a serious injury, or a bleed into a joint, muscle, head, or near my spine it can be much more serious than most people. I can take Factor IX (the factor that I am missing) to top up my levels should something like this happen, but I have to face the fact that it may not be soon enough. Of course my doctors will tell me that it is more serious than I like to admit and they are very much against me skydiving. Just like they were very much against me playing hockey when I was a kid.

I made the decision to not let my disability (and I use that term loosely, because I know there are many that overcome so much more) run my life. I do what I want to do (I also snowboard) and should something happen, well I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

The biggest difference for me as a skydiver is that I have to accept the fact that things that may just be eye openers for most jumpers, for example a broken ankle may turn into something a lot more serious.. serious tissue damage caused by intensive bleeding could cause me to lose the use of my ankle. Or a busted femur that some people may get away with, I might not get away with.

Life is short, but the great thing about life is that it is not measured in length it is measured in width.. so I chose to broaden my horizons to the fullest extent that I can, and experience all that I can in the short time that I may be here.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson