pack40

Anybody here jumping with round canopy

Is there anybody here jumping/jumped with round canopy?
I am a skydiving student in Budapest, Hungary and I am curious abour round canopy jumps elsewhere.
You might laugh
but here -in Hungary- we -average wannabees not full of money- start with jumping good old military chutes, Instead of paying triple for hi-tec gear training, although the clubs have the gears and etc.. I am curious if in US or UK can you even start learning with round canopies? In Hungary unfortunately from the next year or so, only the static-line or AFF with new gears will be available and will have to say bye-bye to round canopies.
If you have any comments about round canopies, I would be happy to read them.

Yeah, I jumped rounds back in 1987. Some DZs in the UK still use them for first jump students, and you sometimes still see experienced jumpers using them for a novelty jump. But it's getting less and less common now.
Geoff

Well, in the US, all sport jumpers are required to have a square canopy, although round reserves are still permitted. About the only US jumpers who still use rounds are the military and people using them for emergencies (pilots and such).

I watched one guy have two reserve rides on a round. They don't steer well, and the landings looked hard. But they always open. We also use them for a third parachute on intentional cutaways, because they don't tend to get tangled in the mess. But nobody that I have seen has had to use one.

Ive jumped rounds before. I posted it somewhere else but some rounds do have control. They usually have panels cut out in the back and toggles . Regular rounds, can also be controlled alot by the risers if you have the expierence. As for landings with practice they become softer but if your not used to them and dont execute good PLFs they can be hard. Anyways rounds can be fun to.
-e