axe96bam

FX vs Velocity

Ok, I just want some opinions from those who have jumped both canopies. I demoed 2 FXs a 99 and than an 88. I also borrowed another jumper's Velocity 90 and put a couple of jumps. I hear different thing from both sides. I am still thinking which one should I get. I am leaning towards the FX 88 at this time. I guess I did not really like the "velocity dance" during opening, but the trade off was lighter front riser pressure on the Velocity.
Any suggestions?

To me, they both fly about the same. I bought a VX instead of either of your choices. I figured if I was going to go tri-brace, I wanted the craziest one available. I kept that main about six months then sold it when I started jumping Cobalts. To me, you have to put too much effort into your approach to get the same performance I can get without trying on my Cobalt. There is very little room for error with any of those parachutes, but that doesn't mean that I don't still like them. I would love to have a VX-65 laying around just to play with once in a while.
Chuck

Personally, to me the only difference in the FX/Velocity and the VX is it's increased ground-hungriness. Yes, the very best swoopers in the world can get slightly longer swoops out of a VX, but there are still PLENTY of guys that smoke past VX guys under Velocities, FX's, Cobalts and the new Xaos. When the stars are aligned and your technique is dead-on, though, it is very hard to swoop farther than a properly piloted VX. Anyway, I don't think you said what your experience level was, so I can't say whether or not it's what you need to be jumping.
chuck