SkyDekker

Southwest Ontario DZ

I hope there are some Ontarians lurking the boards who can help me with my question.
I have done 4 SL jumps at STI outside of Barrie. Since that is a 3 hour drive from my house and I know there are (albeit smaller) DZ's closer to my home in St. Catharines. This summer I want to start and finnish an AFF program, so the DZ has to offer that option.
Anybody out there have any suggestions for me????
SkyDekker
"We cannot do great things, only small things with great love" Mother Theresa

hey skydekker,
not from Ontario here but Nova Scotia instead. The best resource to find info on what your looking for is www.cspa.ca, click on member groups and the Ont. and you'll find a list of all dz's and links to there web sites.
good luck
peace

hey jayhfx,
Thanks for your response. I do know the names of the various dz's around here. I was hoping for people out there knowing something about their reputation, attitude, quality of instruction. Stuff like that.
SkyDekker
"We cannot do great things, only small things with great love" Mother Theresa

I've only been to St Cats for the Provincials there in .. 98 I think (it was also their something-or-another big birthday)???? By the way, its the oldest Canadian DZ (again, I think).
I wouldnt call it a small DZ... more like a regular canadian DZ... (yes, it sucks being north of the border...). Give it a try (or at least call on them to check em out... its close!)
Fine place during the competition and boogie... We werent allowed inside duing the boogie coz there were too many people, so I cant really comment on the facilities...
There also is SWOOP which probably be closer to you then Barrie. Went there to jump 1 day, nothing bad to say, but didnt stay long enough to have anything to say really. Limited facilities back then.
Grand Bend might also be an option. They had a biggish plane back then... Never jumped, but visited on a windy day. Really nice facilities if I remember correctly.
Our home was Markham Skydiving (which is not in Markham, but quite a bit north of it), which for you isnt any closer (in fact, its further then Barrie), plus there have been loads of changes there since, and most of the folks I knew there have left...
All this info is a couple of years old, so treat it as such! lol... also, I never took any instructing in Ontario (well, I did my Coach 2 there, but the course conductors were a couple of annoying people from alberta.. jk John and Nesta...;)) so I cant really comment on the quality of the instructing from personal experience.
Hope this helps,
Remi
Muff 914

Hi Justin!
Yup! SW Ontarian here! If you wanna go AFF or PFF as it's known here in Canada you deffinitely want to go to Skydive SWOOP. Basically they are about the only DZ in SW Ontario that are offering an effective PFF programme right now. Most DZ's in SW Ontario are single airplane operations that really only offer static line or IAD progression. This is largely due to lack of available instructors and aircraft. SWOOP has three working aircraft (2 C-182's and a C-206). They also have a lot of good quality PFF instructors some of whom have come over from other DZ's simply because SWOOP's PFF progression is effective and they can get the work there. SWOOP is 22 years old and is a Not for profit skydiving club. This means that prices are kept low and the emphasis is on safety and advancing the sport. Great bunch of people and great parties too.
Give them a call on 1800 463 5867.
Good Luck!
Tony
Sometimes I see a small speck in the sky, a human being that was given to fly - Pearl Jam! Yeah man!