max

Rigs on Airlines

I would like to hear from anyone who has ever had a problem taking their rig on an airline.
Be as specific as you can.
Did they tell you to open the reserve?
Did they tell you it was a prohibited item?
The reason for this is, I work for a commercial airline and recently experienced problems with my own company while traveling. To attempt to get the correct information to my employer about the equipment, I will be setting up a meeting with our Director of Aviation Security but I need your help.
With the busy travel season ahead for skydivers (myself included) I hope that this will help all of us.

A key problem seems to be that personnel (security & airline) do not know or have access to what is acceptable and what is prohibited. Or they don't know where to look for the info or who to call to get the info. I have been told by Continental ticket personnel that a rig cannot be taken on board and by security that it can, and vice versa. Each time they fumble around until they find someone who is in a position of "authority" who always says a rig is ok to take on board.
B| Gemini
... Let go dude! I can't land with you hanging on!...

I had a small scene at an airport in Florida, when an ignorant security guard insisted on opening my reserve. FYI: They get really upset when you grab their wrist and threaten to break it if they pull that silver handle. This alerted the attention of a national guardsman standing nearby, who ordered me to release the guard/baggage inspector. Upon looking at said national guardsman and seeing his black beret (thrillseek used to be a ranger and is still severly pissed about the army taking away our tradition) I got even more upset. Finally, a supervisor came around with some common sense and asked the right cypres questions (i.e. is it mechanical or pyrotechnic?) they x-rayed my gear bag another 3 times after that, and i was able to go through.
The issue is that the people checking bags need to be informed as to what skydiving gear is, and how to handle (or not handle, as the case may be) it. Educate them and we'll all have an easier time.