RSL pioneer Perry Stevens honored.

Perry Stevens, D-51, has been selected as the recipient of the 2012 USPA Gold Medal for Meritorious Achievement for the invention of the Steven’s system, now know as the RSL.

Congrats to Perry. His invention and its subsequent development by others has undoubtedly saved many lives. As I recall some guys at Security Parachute Co. worked with Perry on this system.

Perry trained me in 1968. He was a great instructor and pushed safety really hard. He washed out one student in my class who just couldn't perform decisive and fast cutaways from the suspended harness.

I still jump 44 years later and fortunately have never been injured. I credit Perry for my good fortune. I've done two cutaways, one round to round, one square to square. Thanks to Perry both were by the book.

Perry should also get some credit as a tandem pioneer. He made a special rig so his Dachshund could jump with him. That dog truly loved to skydive and would get all excited when she got to go. She sometimes rode with us as an "observer" in the RAT, Perry's Aeronca Sedan jumpship.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.