Chivo

TIVO!

Saw it...Wanted it...Had a fit...Got It!!! (Sound familiar? I read it in a thread here, sometime ago.)

That's right, I now have a device that watches TV for me when I can't! :D Now I don't have to be there to watch my favorite episodes as they're broadcast... it rulez!

I even got the Series 2 with USB, plus a USB Ethernet dongle, so I have it connected to my home network with access to internet thru DSL! I can set it to record any show I want, from any PC that has a web browser & internet connection!

I am a very happy camper!
~Chivo

Huh - I was under the impression that Tivo could not do broadband, even via the USB port. Does it have a setup for TCP/IP like ReplayTV does? Does the Tivo update more than once in a day via DSL?

What made you choose the Tivo over ReplayTV? I've been looking at both, and so far Replay has done a better job of winning me over.

Its an undocumented feature.... but then again, there's lots of info about it online.

My setup is something like...

Phone Line -> DSL/Cable Modem -> Lynksys Router -> Computers/Tivo.

Its awesome... when setting up the TIVO, it took 5 seconds to download all the data, instead of the 30 minutes it estimated! Definetly worth it!

Does it have a setup for TCP/IP like ReplayTV does?

It needs a DHCP server to get an ip address. That's why its connected through my router. Oh, and everything must be connected before you turn the Tivo on. During the setup up, you must specify a dialing prefix of ",#401".

Does the Tivo update more than once in a day via DSL?

Not that I'm aware of. It will work just like it would with the phone, but all data goes through the web instead, and it is much much faster this way.

What made you choose the Tivo over ReplayTV?

I chose Tivo because I can do anything I want with it... change hard drives, get mpeg streams out of it, etc. Well, I haven't tried doing it with series 2 yet, but I have done it with a series 1 @ a friends house. He got a 40 hr DirecTivo and we removed its hard drive and added a new one with 160 Gigs storage capacity.

~Chivo

If you wanted that kind of functionality, should have just gotten a Radeon All-In-Wonder video card for your pc. Does everything Tivo does, plus lets you use your remote to control WinAmp to listen to music stored on your pc through your stereo or watch slide shows of photos that are stored on your pc from your tv.

Plus you can slap as many 100GB hard drives as you want in your PC.

True, but I didn't want to rely on my PC for that. Besides, I got this tivo really cheap... it was an open box @ Best Buy and I got it for under $200 and it comes with a $50 mail in rebate. Came with all cables manuals, etc., and it looks like new.

~Chivo