petterekman

Question about packing

Hi there,

first post here, so yay, welcome to myself! B|

Now, when I took my AFF-course this summer, we were taught some packing method which looks a lot like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZi2TAe7Of8

I couldn't quite get along with that packing method and the big canopy I used (280), and at my 3rd or 4th jump one of my AFF-instructors showed me his way of packing.
I would best describe it as a variant of the way Nick Grillet packs here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyM_LkW8DVI

The difference in how I was taught is that instead of folding the sides of the canopy in "under" (over the nose, right?), he folded the sides up towards yourself, over the tail. I found that way to be very easy to use, and packed like that every time since.

Now, what I would like to know is: Is this a good way to pack? Me not having many openings with other packjobs to compare with makes it a hard task to really evaluate it.

I'm also very interested in how the opening of the canopy will differ using this method instead of the PD one? My instructor said that folding the sides over the tail would make it open softer, since not so much material would be presented to the oncoming wind. (Or maybe I completely misunderstood him, not impossible.)

One of biggest points of concern for me is the wear and tear of the canopy. How much do different packjobs differ in that aspect? Will this method wear more than for example the psycho pack or the PD one?

A final thought: Does there exist some sort of "packing for dummies" or similar? There are many ways to pack a canopy, but I have never seen a good summary of the different methods and the pros and cons of each, which surprises me since the experience must be floating around among all the great jumpers out there.

Thanks!

PS. Will celebrate my first post here by attaching a photo of me during my 5th AFF-jump. Enjoy! ;) DS.

The difference in how I was taught is that instead of folding the sides of the canopy in "under" (over the nose, right?), he folded the sides up towards yourself, over the tail. I found that way to be very easy to use, and packed like that every time since.

That sounds to me to be almost the way that Sigma tandem mains are suppossed to be packed. I personally don't pack like that, I pack 'folding under' kinda like the PD video you were talking about.

If it works for you, then keep on trucking with it. Have a rigger check out the main to see if it could be causing any extra wear, but I wouldn't think it would be.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Now, what I would like to know is: Is this a good way to pack?

Yes! I always pack like this with great results. Actually, I believe any king of folding (over or under) is better than just narrowing the cocoon by squeezing. IMO when you fold you don’t disturb the organization inside.

I'm also very interested in how the opening of the canopy will differ using this method instead of the PD one? My instructor said that folding the sides over the tail would make it open softer, since not so much material would be presented to the oncoming wind. (Or maybe I completely misunderstood him, not impossible.)

It won’t make any measurable difference. What dictates your opening is slider placement (against the stops from beginning to end) and possibly a good flaking (as long as you do the basics like continuity, setting the brakes, etc)

One of biggest points of concern for me is the wear and tear of the canopy. How much do different packjobs differ in that aspect? Will this method wear more than for example the psycho pack or the PD one?

Again, I don’t see any difference. You’ll create most of the wear yourself packing in a rough or dirt surface

PS. Will celebrate my first post here by attaching a photo of me during my 5th AFF-jump. Enjoy! ;) DS.

Congrats! :)
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Packing like a Pro

But seriously, there are many variations of how to pack, but none of them really is easy enough to explain in written text.

I suggest you look at PDs packingvideos. Both the new one made by Nick and the older version that is ~40 min long.
They are both very well made.

Up to the point of where you start making the "cocoon" smaler, they are all pretty much the same.
And from there up to where you close the bag my suggestion is to find a way that you are comfortable with.

Wow, that video was really helpful. Thanks!

But seriously, I am not asking for help about packing, which I'd say is quite clear in my original post. I've seen most of the packing videos and I can pack without a problem, I'm just interested in how different pack jobs differ in openings and wear and tear.

Being an engineer means that I'm not happy just doing things the way I've been shown, I want to know more about the mechanics behind it, the different approaches to it and what differences they make.

But seriously, I am not asking for help about packing, which I'd say is quite clear in my original post. I've seen most of the packing videos and I can pack without a problem, I'm just interested in how different pack jobs differ in openings and wear and tear.

Hard openings = more wear and tear
Dragging your canopy/rig = more wear and tear
Packing on carpet = wear and tear
Packing on dirty ground (sand and such) = more wear and tear

Sunlight degrades the nylon, most liquids aren't great for it, friction burns (line burns) from bad packing
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Rolling the nose can make you have more or less end cell closure (inblåsning).

More because you hide the end cells. Or some canopies, if you don't roll the nose the canopy might spread before all cells are airfilled.
On my previous canopy I rolled the nose a little, on my current canopy I have to roll it like crazy or the canopy will spank me.