Jetace1

Need Website Help! Complete ftp whuffo!

Okay. Here's the dealeo. As the newest member of Mr. Pink, I volunteered to take on the job of managing the www.mrpink.tv website, thinking it would be just like my old site, www.formula4.net. However, I was rudely surprised when I found out that it requires the use of some type of utility to edit the website and then ftp everything back to the host's server. :S

Honestly, I don't understand how all of this is supposed to work. Is there a kind soul out there with WAY too much time on their hands who can help teach me how to edit the website?

There's some free coach jumps in it for you if we can hook up somewhere. :)
Mr. Jade
Tail Flyer
Mr. Pink Skydiving Team

Bobby - Onyx 4-Way Team
www.onyx4.org
"I thought you said you fall fast."

To edit the website you'll need an HTML editor such as Front Page, and to upload it you'll need an FTP client such as CuteFTP or any other.

You can email me in case you have more questions

Hey dude,

I wont have time to help u edit the site as such ... ftp is basically used for uploading and downloading to and from the site .... u only need a basic ftp program to do this and i suggest a program called cuteFTP which is pretty much freely available ... go to the site .... www.download.com and search for cuteFTP or if this doesnt help just search for FTP and u will get a number of programs ... if u dont want to pay for the program make sure u chose a freeware program.

As for the HTML like already posted get a good HTML editor ... a program like microsoft frontpage is good for this but does have limitations in what u can do ... i dont know what the website is for but if it contains javascript CGI and that sort of thing it all gets more complicated, I have a Computer Science Degree and am still learning this stuff after 5 years ... theres a lot to know ... but i hope some of this was helpful

Feel free to message me if u need more questions answered.

Kempa

IMHO, FrontPage is a toy. CuteHtml is ok, but if you're new to this, there is not a lot of support. If you can shell out for Macromedia Dreamweaver, it will be worth your money. It comes with an excellent tutorial, and there are plenty of good books out there that will quickly take you from A to Z. PM me if you want more information, and I'll point you to a site I created. I've received a number of compliments on it, and I'm a total amateur.

I create web pages on a daily basis and while I agree that DreamWeaver is much more sophisticated, FrontPage is much easier for a beginner. I have the full Macromedia Suite, FrontPage 2000 and a few others that aren’t worth mentioning.

If you decide to go with FrontPage you will want to get a provider that supports FrontPage extensions. It is not necessary to create a website but it gives much more functionality like counters and such. It also has built in FTP to upload your web as does DreamWeaver.

At work we have multiple users posting to the same Intranet website and FrontPage works a little easier with multiple users/webs. I created templates for them to build pages and add them to our intranet.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Chris